Forums Help & support Can open encrypted files by selecting them from the Windows 7 Recent Items list

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Kevin

I’m using Windows 7.

I have an AxCrypt protected Excel sheet.  Let’s call it “Spreadsheet-xlsx.axx”.  If I navigate to the folder it’s stored in, it shows up as an .axx file, and I need to enter my password to open it.

However, once I’ve opened it, both “Spreadsheet-xlsx.axx” and “Spreadsheet.xlsx” appear in the Recent Items list in the Start menu.  If I click on “Spreadsheet-xlsx.axx” I have to enter my AxCrypt password to access it.  If I click “Spreadsheet.xlsx” the file opens as if it had no protection on it.

How do I prevent this unsecured version of the file appearing in Recent Items?

#12391 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hi Kevin,

It is a little hard to prevent it from appearing in the recent files list – it’s a Windows function. I do not know if you can make things conditional or disable it.

However, if you have closed the document correctly and AxCrypt does not show the red clean broom icon, it should be re-encrypted and removed from the temporary location – and thus not be possible to open.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Can open encrypted files by selecting them from the Windows 7 Recent Items list
Your information: