Forums Help & support Can you protect folders not just files?

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Paul Jones

I am new to this software (and to encrypting computer files as a whole).

With your software I have encrypted the files but anyone accessing them can still read the file names (Is there any way to password protect the folder so people can’t access and read the file names? (I use very descriptive file names to make things easier for me)

Many thanks.

#7824 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Paul,

No, AxCrypt is a file encryption software, and only encrypts files. However, since the original file name is included in the encrypted information, the encrypted file can be renamed to anything while the original name will be still be restored on decryption. There’s also a function to do this simply called anonymous rename.

#7827 Reply

Greg

It’d be nice if we could Anonymous Rename a folder.

I’m subscribed to Premium and would love the ability to mark a folder as a Secured Folder and then whenever a new file is dropped into it, AxCrypt would automatically anonymously rename it.

At the minute you have to manually select them for Anonymous Rename which is a pain.

#7828 Reply

Greg

It’s also a pain to have to Temporarily Decrypt a large folder just in order to see the filenames.

I’m not a technical expert but I wonder if it’s possible to encrypt the filename in a separate block within the file so that AxCrypt can automatically display (when logged in) the real filenames but when logged out just the numerical filename.

#7829 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Greg,

Yes, technically we can add auto-anonymous-rename and we can display the real file name when signed in (what you suggest is what we do – we keep the original file name in encrypted form in the encrypted file).

Auto-add is on the to-do-list, as is another related issue:

https://bitbucket.org/axantum/axcrypt-net/issues/310/add-anonymous-rename-to-options-for

https://bitbucket.org/axantum/axcrypt-net/issues/151/add-restore-original-name

We do display the original file name in the recent files view. To do so from Windows Explorer is possible, but non-trivial because it requires some communication back and forth between the shell extension and AxCrypt, so this we probably won’t do. We might do something inside the app though to facilitate finding the right file when it’s not in the recent file window.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Can you protect folders not just files?
Your information: