Forums Bugs & issues Cannot save text file when NOT using Notepad

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 7 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

edward perez

I just installed AxCrypt using “AxCrypt v2.1.1392.0 x64.msi”.

1. i encrypted a text file via the Windows Explorer context menu [very nice!].
    2. i double clicked on the encrypted file – my editor displayed the file.
    3. i edited the file.
    4. when i attempted to save the file, i got this message [not sure if from my text editor or AxCrypt]:
    [snapshot included below]
    error dialog title: <Cannot creat file “C:\Users\edward\AppData\Local\AxCrypt\enkobb2w\000 edward.txt”. The system …> (cannot see rest of title)
    error message: “Unable to save file C:\Users\edward\AppData\Local\AxCrypt\enkobb2w\000 edward.txt
    Please make sure that the disk is not full, the file is not in use by another application and that you have sufficient access rights to modify it.”

My default text editor is EditPad Lite [https://www.editpadlite.com/].
    If i change the default text editor to Notepad, I can save the encrypted file without the error.

What gives?? Are they any special permissions needed for C:\Users\edward\AppData\Local\AxCrypt?

thx in advance.
    edward perez
    erperez54@gmail.com

errmsg when saving encrypted text file

#3120 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello,

Thank you for reporting this. The problem occurs because EditPad is a multi-document editor, and the way it handles this tricks AxCrypt into believing the file is no longer used when you open a text file when EditPad is already open.

We’ll be working on a fix for this asap, in the meantime, the workaround is to ensure that EditPad is fully closed before opening another document. Sorry for the inconvenience, we’ll try to have a new build out very soon.

Once again, thank you for reporting this! As a small token of appreciation and perhaps consolation, I’ve added another month of Premium to your AxCrypt ID account.

Regards,

Svante

#3131 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello,

There’s a new version out that I hope addresses your issue (2.1.1393). Please try it out and let us know how it goes.

Regards,

Svante

#3162 Reply

edward perez

Svante, thx for the update. i will install the new version and see if that works.

edward

#3163 Reply

edward perez

svante,

v2.1.1393 works !

i closed EditPadLite, installed the new AxCrypt version, encrypted the file via Windows File Explorer, dbl clicked it [from Explorer or AxCrypt dashboard], edited it, then saved the file.  no error messages.

until i closed EditPadLite, the little red broom icon displayed next to the file in the dashboard.
    a slight inconvenience, but i can close EditPadLite after editing an encrypted file [i dont plan on encrypting many, just my sensitive files].

THANKS!
    edward

p.s. wish i could edit my prior post instead of posting a new reply.

#3165 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Great!

I should mention that this issue occurs because of another, in my mind, bad behavior with EditPad. Once the file is opened in the editor, it does not keep it open in anyway. That makes it possible for anything to happen with the file without EditPad having a say. I personally think that all software working with a file should hold at least a write lock on it.

Anyway, I’m happy this worked out. Thanks for the report, it’s only when we get reports that we can fix the issues, we can’t find everything ourselves. There are just too many situations that can happen…

Svante

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Cannot save text file when NOT using Notepad
Your information: