Forums Help & support Can't open encrypted file with password created

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Bryce 5 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Rosa

After creating a password, I was notified it was going to be saved and that I wouldn’t need to enter it again when opening a document, however, when I attempted to open the document, I was prompted to enter the password. After doing so, the document didn’t open, and instead I got an error message saying I was already signed in with that password. HELP!

#8385 Reply

Svante
    Keymaster

Hello Rosa,

From our logs, we can see that you downloaded AxCrypt, created an account, and set a password. Then, about 3 hours later, you signed again to the web site and among other things changed the password.

This means there are two passwords in play. Please sign out and exit from AxCrypt, then ensure you are online, sign in again with the new password and try again. If the file still does not open, please use the original password you set when you created the account.

#8418 Reply

Rosa

Thanks for the feedback! I did change the password after creating it for the first time because every time I attempted to open the file, I got the same message saying I was already logged in with that password. I did what you suggested, logged out and tried to log in again using the original password I created and it didn’t work (it said the password was wrong). I tried using the second password I created and got the message again: You are already signed in with this password. My question is: if I am already signed in, why does AxCrypt continue to prompt me to enter the password? and why doesn’t the document open?

#8419 Reply

Svante
    Keymaster

Hello Rosa,

The file is encrypted using a password. That password is apparently different than the one you are signed in with. It thus does not help to enter it again, it’s already tried. That’s why the message says you’re already signed in with that password.

I’m wondering – did you encrypt the document, or did someone send it to you?

If someone sent it to you, they need to use the key sharing feature in order for you to be able to open it. If they do this, the file is updated to include a key for you so you can open it – but they will need to resend the file to you after adding you as a recipient. All this is explained on our web page https://www.axcrypt.net/ .

#8427 Reply

Rosa

Thanks! Yes, the document was encrypted and sent to me. I contacted the sender and they stated the document had been sent using the Key Share format with my email added as the recipient. I still can’t open the document and don’t know what else to do. This is an important work document.

#8428 Reply

Bryce

Rosa, the person needs to share the file with you first before sending it to you.

Ask the sender to share it with you again and then send the file to you.

Direct the sender to this video and ask that they follow the simple instructions:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grDPq8qKwF0

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Can't open encrypted file with password created
Your information: