Forums Bugs & issues Can't open existing Axcrypt files with latest version of Axcrypt

This topic contains 82 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  EL 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
  • Author

Svante
    Spectator

Sorry about that Peter – we’ll be adding a “Convert all files” type of feature in the near future to facilitate this process.

In the meantime, there’s unfortunately also another issue. When you select files to convert/decrypt, do so from the AxCrypt 2 window, not from Windows Explorer. Will also be fixed very, very soon…

Or, just wait for the next release. It should be available next week, where at least some of these things are addressed.

To be honest, while I’m very happy in general with how AxCrypt 2 works and it’s stability, I am not happy with the re-onboarding process for existing AxCrypt 1 users. It’s not at all as seamless and convenient as it should be. This will be fixed, it has very high priority, but there are some other things with even higher priority that needs to get fixed first.

Svante

#3516 Reply

Peter

Svante,

Thanks for that. I expect I’ll wait for the next release.

My files mostly reside in Veracrypt containers, in encrypted zipx files. These in turn contain individual encrypted files. All are encrypted with keyfiles of considerable length. I also have the keyfiles encrypted with a shorter and easily-remembered password, and they also have an extension other than.txt.

I think my best plan is going to be to mount containers then decrypt/extract/decrypt under the 1.7 version of Axcrypt, using the keyfiles. I then need to install 2.?, and re-encrypt the files and zipx. This will take some time, but is the easier way of handling the numbers involved.

Do I need to uninstall 1.7, or can I just install 2 over the top of it? I guess that I’d have to restart at least Windows Explorer to get the shells to work properly, or even reboot.

#3523 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Peter,

Wow… To be honest, I think you might want to make your life easier by examining your situation from a security analysis point of view. I think you can at least skip the zipx step, without sacrificing any security at all. Also, if I were you, I’d settle on a really good, long and strong password that you can remember and use that and skip the keyfiles step. You might for example want to use two concatenated passwords from our password generator for a really ludicrous level of strength. http://www.axcrypt.net/password-generator/ .

Using full disk/container encryption in combination with file encryption is something I do recommend, not quite for the multiple-level of encryption reason, but for other reasons. Specifically, I advocate full disk encryption such as BitLocker for local PC security, and file encryption for off-device storage  – which for practical reasons means that you keep files file encrypted on your full disk encrypted hard disk.

Anyway, if you install 2.1 it’ll upgrade the 1.7. If you want to have them both, don’t install 2.1, just download the portable install-free version. The shell integration will be with 1.7 then, but you can use the 2.1 user window for all features.

Svante

#3524 Reply

Peter

Svante,

Thanks for your comments.  I use Powerarchiver (paid for version) to archive to zipx, which for me has two advantages; the archive files are shrunk, and holding them all in the zipx makes moving around, backing up and so forth a bit easier. Powerarchiver itself has strong archive encryption options, which I use for small zips sent to clouds, but it doesn’t work as well in some other circumstances, where I find Axcrypt provides a better solution.

I’ll certainly be fine using a strong but memorable password/phrase, which is what I do for encrypting my keyfiles. I think it would be difficult for an attacker to locate my keyfiles, and then assign them to the files they unlock, as they are all different, but being text files does offer some risk, hence my encrypting them. That was easier than keeping them on a removable flash drive.

After replacing my system HDD with an SSD, I had troubles with BitLocker on W7 Ultimate, and I believe there are technical issues connected with read/write on SSDs thus encrypted. I mainly use the Veracrypt containers on external drives, where I do keep the relevant keyfiles (which can be any file type) on separate media.

Thanks also for the suggestion on 1.7/2 use, which is very useful.

Peter

#3550 Reply

Jennifer

Hello – I need to decrypt old Word and Excel documents (created in and prior to 2015) from an external hard drive. The PC these were created on died so I have had to install AxCrypt on a new PC. When asked for a password, I entered my old “pass phrase” that was used to encrypt most all of the files. For security purposes, I had to encrypt some files with different pass phrases so not all are the same. I am experiencing a few issues and have read through some of the questions in the forum. I only need to use the program to decrypt the documents on the external hard drive which I should be able to accomplish in less than 30 days (free trial). Is it possible to restart the trial period after some of the issues are fixed? My problems/questions are (1) after decrypting a few files, the program stops responding and I have to use task manager to close out and reopen – is there a fix for this; (2) I have not been prompted to “convert” files as I had read would happen – is that only when using the “open” option rather than “decrypt”? *NOTE – Once I decrypt the documents in question, I do not want encrypt them again; – (3) it seems I can highlight and decrypt multiple files at the same time through Windows/File Explorer at least one time and then the program freezes – I can only decrypt one file at a time when I open AxCrypt through my desktop shortcut – this is very time consuming – is there a faster way to decrypt multiple files; (4) for the files that were encrypted with other pass phrases, have I understood correctly that I will need to change the AxCrypt log-in password to match each? Thanks in advance!!

#3551 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Jennifer,

I’ll try to keep this as short and straight-forward as possible, but there were many things there…

– Your issues with AxCrypt not responding is likely due to a known performance issue when selecting multiple files from Windows Explorer. For multiple file selections, please use the program window and it’s toolbar and menu for now. We’ll be fixing this shortly.

– You will not be prompted to convert your files if you are selecting to decrypt them permanently, since that would not make sense. You’re asking to decrypt them, conversion is about converting AxCrypt 1-encrypted files to AxCrypt 2-encrypted files.

– You do not need Premium to do what you are doing, so the trial period length is irrelevant here.

– You do not need to change the AxCrypt 2 password to decrypt AxCrypt 1-files with varying passwords. As required, AxCrypt will prompt you for the AxCrypt 1-file password.

Regards,

Svante

#3689 Reply

Bernie

I am using the latest version of Axcrypt, v 2.1.1404.0

When I need to use it, I sign in with my email address &  password.   When I finish a session, I  sign out.

However, the next time I use Axcrypt I have to sign in again with my email address & password.

This is despite the program telling me I only have to sign in once, on the first time I use it.

This problem has existed ever since the get go.

#3690 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Bernie,

You are exactly describing the way AxCrypt is intended to work.

It’s by careful design – if you never had to sign on again, it would not be secure enough. Many on the contrary have concerns about the fact that you don’t have to sign in for every file. As it’s designed, you have to sign in after the screen saver has been activated, the computer has gone to sleepetc.

About “the first time” I think you are referring to the fact that Internet is required the very first time you install and run AxCrypt on a new computer, but not thereafter.

#3738 Reply

Andy

Hi Svante , thanks for the reply.

Now I have done  as you have suggested :-

6. Open your old AxCrypt 1-files. You’ll probably be prompted (again) for a password. This time it *is* your old AxCrypt 1-password!

7. If you followed step 4, you’ll be prompted to enable auto-conversion of your old files. This will cause them to be re-encrypted with AxCrypt 2, using your new AxCrypt ID-password as you open and use them.

However:- I do not get this option “you’ll be prompted to enable auto-conversion of your old files”

It just says  wrong password !

I have downloaded the latest version today  but still cannot use my old 4 number password!

Thanks

#3742 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Andy,

This thread is to say the least a bit confusing. Too many posting their own issue. Each thread should essentially be per one single user/issue.

Anyway, this means I’m not sure just what “Now I have done as you have suggested” means in this case.

We do not know of any confirmed case of files actually opening in version 1, and not in version 2. There was an issue in a previous version, where some files would not open after a password change, but that has been fixed.

The best way to make sure that it’s not a problem with the program, is to temporarily uninstall AxCrypt 2, re-install AxCrypt 1 and see if you actually can open them there. If you can’t – then it’s not a version problem. If you can – re-install version 2 again, and repeat.

#3827 Reply

Wayne

You have screwed up a nice little program with your upgrade to 2.0.

My existing Axcrypt encryped file will not open under Axcrypt 2.  This forum has nonsense on how to solve this problem.   I’ve updated my Axcrypt account.  Axcrypt says open the file & re-encrypt it with Axcrypt 2.  Problem – the damn encrypted file won’t open so how do you do this?

Why such confusion?

#3831 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Wayne,

I’m sorry to hear you’re having problems. However, so far we’ve not had a single reported case where a file encrypted with AxCrypt 1 was not possible to open with AxCrypt 2, provided the original password is known.

Can you please send a screen shot of the situation where you are stuck – it is much easier to understand exactly what’s going on.

Also, FYI, we’re entering the most intense vacation period here at AxCrypt.

#3864 Reply

Steve

Hello, I have used an old version of AxCrypt for many years on my home computer.  Recently I had to reformat my Windows machine and in the process upgraded to Windows 10.  When I downloaded AxCrypt I discovered that it was a new version.  When I tried to open a previously encrypted file it asked for my e-mail and password.  I didn’t remember every registering so I went ahead and registered.  Now when I try and open a file it gives me this alert:  “warning:  [file path name-doc.axx] is not an AxCrypt file”.  It doesn’t ask for a password or whether I want to convert it or not.

Is there a way to access these files with the new version?  Would uninstalling and loading an older version give me access to these files?

#4674 Reply

Richard long

I’m struggling since upgrading to V2. V1 was wonderful. Just wanted to let you know of a problem that shouodn’t exist and a temporary solution that at least gets around problem:

I am on Windows 10 and using EDGE as the PDF reader. I have tons of PDF files secured from version 1 and never had a problem opening them when already secured by AxCrypt. However, every file previously secured using version one fails the first time (at least the PDF ones that is). I haven’t done a lot of debugging to see if it is only PDF files or the use of EDGE, but to get around the problem simply close out the error report and click the file again. The second time always works. If you want me to try something else to more exactly define the specific problem, please let me know.

As far as initial feedback on V2, the jury is still out. I really don’t see much difference from a usage point of view that fascinates me compared to the V1 Beta I was running. I think I understand the necessity for now signing in, but it really is a pain in my case and wish there was an option to NOT be required to do so. This forum is also a little awkward in that individual posts can’t be done to report a problem forcing the user through a lot of other text not related to his/her problem. We’ve worked on problems before in the past and I trust you’ll get everything ironed out in V2 and this forum.

#4675 Reply

Bernie

I’ve stopped using AxCrypt and reverted to the original.  It’s much simpler to use, and does not require log on ever.  Only the passphrase.

And the popup for entering the passphrase works first time every time, even from the short cut to files to be opened.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 83 total)
Reply To: Can't open existing Axcrypt files with latest version of Axcrypt
Your information: