Forums Bugs & issues Can't open existing Axcrypt files with latest version of Axcrypt

This topic contains 82 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  EL 1 year, 1 month ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
  • Author

Anne

I’ve been using AxCrypt for several years. When I set up AxCrypt on my new desktop server, I installed AxCrypt version 2.1.1398 since Norton wouldn’t allow an older version to be installed. I read your April 2017 Newsletter and decided to change my login password. However, when I attempt to decrypt any of my encrypted files, it’s now showing me the following error:

Unexpected Error!

Exception during processing of ‘<filename>.axx’. [Exception on UI Thread]

I’ve rebooted to force it to start AxCrypt 2 and signed in with my new password. It keeps showing me the same error on every file that I’ve attempted to decrypt. How do I get this corrected?

I’ve used the password for my files; nothing works now.

#6385 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Anne,

For this I think it’s best if you contact our support, and also include a full error reports as described here: https://forum.axcrypt.net/blog/send-complete-error-report/ .

#7363 Reply

Alex

Hello,

I can no longer view files. I get an error when I try to open them. The software does not take the password and shows an error. my version is 2.1.1516.0.  However, my partner with the older version of software is able to open them with no issues. Any idea what could be causing it?

Thank you

#7364 Reply

Callum

Alex it could be a number of things. Do you have a screenshot of the error message?

#7365 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Alex,

Yes, a screen shot please. You can also contact our support via email at: support att axcrypt dott net .

#7382 Reply

Alex

Hello,

Sorry for a delay in answering.Please see attached screen shot.

Thanks,

Alex

#7383 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Alex,

This particular file I seriously doubt your friend can open with version 1 of AxCrypt, since it is a version 2 file. Perhaps you just meant an earlier revision of version 2? If you look in the Recent Files window, it will say “AES-128” or “AES-256” – NOT “AES-128 v1”. The way that I see this here, is the lack of the “More…” button that is displayed in the File Password dialog when attempting to open a version 1-file. In any case, it is irrelevant to why you can’t open it.

The dialog itself is displayed because your sign-in password to AxCrypt is not the same as the password used to encrypt the file, and the file is not key shared with you.

If the file originates from your friend, you must ask him/her to use the “key share” functionality to give you the possibility to open it. In this case you’ll be able to open it after sign in without any additional passwords.

#7390 Reply

Alex

Hello,

He actually does have some kind of version 1.

Do you mean, he needs to export Public Key Share, and I need to import it?

Thanks

#7391 Reply

Alex

Attached file has his version. Any way to fix it without pass phrase file? We may need to access it from different machines, and do not want to have to use that key file.

#7392 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Alex,

The file in question in the screen shot …Portal-txt.axx does *not* appear to be encrypted using version 1.7.3156. It appears to be encrypted using version 2.1.x.

To share files securely, please use version 2 both of you, and use the key sharing function.

The key sharing function embeds the shared key into the file. The file must thus first be key shared with the recipient, then sent or file shared. Please note that AxCrypt does not share or send the actual file. To see a quick instructional video explaining how to use key sharing, please view https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z3KOZD-Yks .

There is no need for explicit import / export etc of public or private keys. We do that for you.

#7394 Reply

Alex

Hello,

All files that we have have been encrypted by my partner were done  in his 1.xxxx version. I used to be able to open them, but not anymore. He has 1000s of file in our shared google drive. If he unencrypts them all and then reencypts them with the latest software version, it will be quite a big effort for us due to massive syncing. Anyway for him to do something that I will be access all files.

Thanks

#7398 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Alex,

First of all – before you do anything massive, do ensure that you have proper backups of all files. This has nothing really to do with the situation, but if you’re doing new things it’s a good time to be extra sure. A proper back is something that at least periodically is backed up ‘permanently’. It’s not enough just to ‘mirror’. You need to be able to go back in time, since there’s otherwise a risk that your backup is overwritten by the bad data before you realize what’s happening.

That being said, try to understand how this works with one file. I insist to maintain that the file you sent a screen shot of, …Portal-txt.axx is actually encrypted with version 2. If you’d like, you can email the file (without any password) to us. AxCrypt is made for that scenario, so as long as you password is good enough there’s no risk with that.

When you got it all nailed down, there’s a function to mass-convert v1 files to v2. It may take computer and synchronization time, but there’s no real work for you involved.

#7412 Reply

Сергей

Здравствуйте при расшифровке появляется такая ошибка, что мне делать чтобы открыть зашифрованные файлы?

#7413 Reply

Альберт

Зашифровали ли вы файл с версией 2 и пытаетесь расшифровать версию 1?

Сообщение об ошибке, которое у вас есть, указывает на то, что файл был поврежден каким-то образом в вашей системе.

#7415 Reply

Alex

Hello,

Something strange happened. I asked my partner to encypt the file with his 1.xxx version , so that I can send it to you. Once I got the file, just for the sake of it I tried opening it, and it worked. What is more strange, is that I can now access all files that were giving me the error before. Happy but confused.

Regards,

Alex

Viewing 15 posts - 61 through 75 (of 83 total)
Reply To: Can't open existing Axcrypt files with latest version of Axcrypt
Your information: