Forums Help & support can't open old encrypted files

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 4 years ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Debbie Serio

Although I am using the correct password, several older encrypted files won’t open with the password.  I get a red exclamation mark.

#15391 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Debbie,

We have literally hundreds of thousands of users a succeed in signing in, both using the app and the web.

I think you perhaps are not careful enough when you type the password – or you are not aware that upper and lower case characters are different, and spaces and accents are significant when typing the password.

I suggest you use the ‘show password’ option in both the web and the app, and ensure that what is type is truly identical.

AxCrypt will allow the users to decrypt the encrypted file with the original password which is used for encryption.

If the file was encrypted with a different password than your sign in password, then you have to enter the file password while viewing/decrypting the encrypted file.

For example: Try to encrypt a file with your AxCrypt password and then reset your AxCrypt account password using Reset Password Feature. Now if you open the encrypted file, you will be prompted for enter the file password (which is used for encryption of the file).

If you know some part of the password, then you can download and use the most recent version of AxBruteForce from https://account.axcrypt.net/Download/AxBruteForce.exe , to decrypt the files.

Still, you can open/decrypt the old encrypted files with the original file password(which was used in the file encryption process).

Still, you are asking any issues, please provide more information about the issue and write a mail to support@axcrypt.net.

#15457 Reply

ed

I cant open my encrypted files after re installing windows? please help cant access any files it just says deniaed after iv already logged in and entered the correct password and email I used when I encrypted them

#15459 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello ed,

AxCrypt is a file encryption software and it requires a full write access to the path when encrypting/decrypting the files.

If the performing user account does not have the necessary access for the file path then AxCrypt app will throw the exception like what you are getting.

Please provide the necessary access(write access for the currently signed in user) to the file path and then try to encrypt/decrypt the files under the specified location.

For more information, please check out the link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-in/help/2623670/access-denied-or-other-errors-when-you-access-or-work-with-files-and-f

Still if you are facing any issues, You can also send the complete error report to troubleshoot the issue. Please follow the detailed instructions to take the complete error report: https://forum.axcrypt.net/blog/send-complete-error-report/

please provide more information about the issue and write a mail to support@axcrypt.net

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: can't open old encrypted files
Your information: