Forums Help & support Change password

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 3 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Raymond Cheung

Dear Sirs,

I’ve got the following statement.  How to achieve?

” The account key is always kept secured with your password as well, although one part of it is not secret and is used when securing files for you and your team. For you, the benefit is that you can change the password for all files in one single operation. ”

Thanks,

Raymond Cheung

#13390 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Raymond,

Please avoid sending a same query in different mediums. You may get duplicate response(s).

“The account key is always kept secured with your password as well, although one part of it is not secret and is used when securing files for you and your team. For you, the benefit is that you can change the password for all files in one single operation”

The above statements state the Key sharing and AxCrypt Password Change feature.

When the user changes the password on our account site(https://account.axcrypt.net/), the private key is re-encrypted with the new password.

When you change (not reset) your password for your AxCrypt ID account, *all* files previously encrypted with that AxCrypt ID account will automatically open with the new changed password.

When the user then sign-ins with the app, the local encrypted copy of the private key is updated with the new encrypted version from the server.

Thus, the user can actually “change” password for all his/her files.

Note that the file can actually still be opened with the original password, since the file encryption key is encrypted with that also, still (until it’s updated).

Another way to view it is that AxCrypt always “key shares” files with yourself.

“The account key is always kept secured with your password as well, although one part of it is not secret and is used when securing files for you and your team.”

This statement refer the AxCrypt Key sharing feature.

AxCrypt Key sharing feature using the recipient’s public key and it embeds the shared key into the file.

For more about AxCrypt keys, please check our blog: https://forum.axcrypt.net/blog/what-is-an-axcrypt-id/ .

#18751 Reply

Mcgyver

<p style=”text-align: left;”>If I change password and want to avoid the old files being opened with the old password, what should I do ?</p>
    Thanks

#18754 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Mcgyver,

I will explain below what happens in after change password in AxCrypt.

If you change your password (not reset)  in the AxCrypt App, will all of your previously encryped files require the new password.

Whenever a file is encrypted, it’s encrypted with a random key. That key, in turn, is encrypted with the user’s password AND with the users public key.

When the user changes the password on the website, the private key is re-encrypted with the new password.

When you change (not reset) your password for your AxCrypt ID account, *all* files previously encrypted with that AxCrypt ID account will automatically open with the new changed password.

When the user then sign-ins on the app with internet enabled, the local encrypted copy of the private key is updated with the new encrypted version from the server.

Thus, the user can actually “change” password for all his/her files.

Both the Password reset and change are not the same. For more information about password change and reset, please check out our blog: https://www.axcrypt.net/blog/password-reset-axcrypt/.

still, If you are facing any issues, you can feel free to contact our support via support@axcrypt.net.

#18786 Reply

Mcgyver

Hi Prabhukumar

Thank you for the clarification

But … Does this mean that after I change the password and follow your instructions , the old encrypted files will not open anymore using the old password, right ?

Thank you

#18798 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Mcgyver,

Does this mean that after I change the password and follow your instructions , the old encrypted files will not open anymore using the old password, right? – Correct.

Please more information about password change and reset, please check out our blog: https://www.axcrypt.net/blog/password-reset-axcrypt/.

#18820 Reply

Mcgyver

It seem´s that the link is broken

https://www.axcrypt.net/support/blog/password-reset-axcrypt

Thank you

#18825 Reply

Anonymous

Hello Mcgyver,

Sorry for the inconvenience

More information about password change and reset, please check out our blog: https://forum.axcrypt.net/blog/password-reset-axcrypt/

#18849 Reply

Mcgyver

Hi Prabhukumar R

I think I´m missing something here….

I changed the password, logged in with the new one on the windows app, and after that I switched the program do work offline.

The encrypted files I had before still can be oppened with the old password.  Is that right ?

thank you !

#18859 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Mcgyver,

Please try to clear the AxCrypt local contents by clicking the Reset button in the sign-in dialog or via the AxCrypt file menu File | Options | Clear All Settings & Restart.

Now check the same again. Now you can open the encrypted file with a new password(Change password).

#18860 Reply

Mcgyver

Hi Prabhukumar R

What I want to avoid is to open the old files with the old password.

The new password is working fine (it opens the old files).

Thank you!

#18874 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Mcgyver,

Hope your problem resolved. it’s not clear your question. Please more detailed about the issue and write a email to support@axcrypt.net.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Change password
Your information: