Forums Community Changing From W7 to W10 – Can't Unencrypt Docs

This topic contains 5 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Ian

Hello,

I have a couple of documents previously encrypted with AxCrypt on a windows 7 machine.  Have moved onto a windows 10 machine and reinstalled Axcrypt now can’t un encrypt the documents – am sure I have the password correct.  Any thoughts?

#12797 Reply

Ian

Think I have got this, when I  changed machines I downloaded a never version of Axcrypt, have uninstalled that and downloaded the legacy 1.7 vers and can now open my files.  Going forward I assume I need to then re-encrypt with the current version?  Does this mean the newer versions are not backward compatible?

#12800 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Ian,

Version 2.x of AxCrypt can decrypt all files encrypted by version 1.x or later.

Version 1.x of AxCrypt can only decrypt files encrypted by version 1.x (not 2.x).

#12801 Reply

Ian

Thanks for the prompt response.

I don’t understand why the the later version would not open the documents I encrypted with the earlier version?  I have managed to load these now by downloading the earlier 1.x version and using the password I used originally.  But this did not work with the later version?   I used the 1.x version on a W7 machine and all was OK for a few years, when I recently moved to a W10 PC and downloaded the latest AxCrpyt, that would not allow me to unencrypt with the password I used with the 1.x version?

#12810 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Ian,

AxCrypt 2.x use a single sign on model where the same password is used to sign in to our servers and to protect your files.

First create an AxCrypt account with your email address and a strong password(minimum 8 characters) in our account site (https://account.axcrypt.net/en/Home/Register) or the AxCrypt app.

Then sign in to the AxCrypt app to open your encrypted files. AxCrypt will allow the users to decrypt the encrypted file with the original password which is used for encryption.

Use the Open Secured icon or File menu option to open the encrypted files. If the file was encrypted with a different password than your sign in password, you will be prompted to enter the file password which was used in the file encryption.

If you open files encrypted with a different password than your sign in password, which often is the case directly after upgrading to version 2, you will be prompted for that original password. If the file was encrypted with version 1, it will then be automatically upgraded to version 2 and to use the new sign in password which means you won’t be prompted again for the old password.

Or you can use the File | Upgrade 1.x Files and AES 128 Files menu from the AxCrypt app, to upgrade your AxCrypt 1.x files to AxCrypt 2.x.

Please check out our video tutorials at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoSoXBjq6iCG5232fHoWStA and our other documentation at https://forum.axcrypt.net/information/get-started/ to get started with AxCrypt.

If you find that AxCrypt 2.x is unsuitable and you would like to use 1.x instead you are free to do so, but we will not be actively developing 1.x, nor will support be a priority. We recommend all users, old and new, to always use the most current released version of AxCrypt.

Please note: AxCrypt 1.x and 2.x are compatible in the sense that 2.x can open all files secured with 1.x. Files secured with AxCrypt 2.x are not possible to open with AxCrypt 1.x. Do not have both the versions in the system. Please uninstall the older version(if you have both).

#12816 Reply

Anonymous

Thank you – that is fine now.

Have a great day.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Changing From W7 to W10 – Can't Unencrypt Docs
Your information: