Forums Bugs & issues Clean Open Files

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 7 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Yehuda

When attempting to clean open files, as well as when signing out, I get an error that an exception occurred – part of the path to the temp file is missing.

Checking, I found that the temp folder with the gibberish name was already gone. Instead of throwing an error, I imagine the software should just skip it. Now it won’t let me clear the other open files.

Thanks!

#3485 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hi,

Thank you for reporting this.

Can you send a screen shot of the error message please?

Svante

#3491 Reply

Yehuda

#3537 Reply

Yehuda

Any updates?

Everytime my computer locks, it tries to clean the open files and throws this error.

Thanks!

#3538 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hi!

We’ll be looking into this the coming week! Can you tell us a little more:

– What Windows-version

– What are you opening PDF files with?

– What version of AxCrypt are you running?

– Can you please use the function File | Options | Debug and then Debug | Open Error Report Snapshot and follow the instructions you should see then?

Svante

#3540 Reply

Yehuda

Windows 10 64-bit

Opening PDFs with Adobe Acrobat 11, but I’m getting the same error for Word documents.

AxCrypt 2.1.1398.0

Sent.

Thanks!

#3542 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Yehuda,

We received the stack trace, thank you. Would you mind also sending the ‘FileSystemState.txt’ file from %localappdata%\AxCrypt ? It does contain the names of the encrypted files (i.e. the .axx-files, not the originals, but if you have not renamed they are of course very similar), otherwise there’s nothing sensitive in it.

Svante

#3547 Reply

Yehuda

Sent – thank you so much!

I deleted one entry from the file.

#3591 Reply

Yehuda

Update: I uninstalled AxCrypt, shredded my %localappdata%/AxCrypt folder, and reinstalled AxCrypt. It seems to be working now, with one caveat.

I tested the following with Microsoft Word 2016 (32-bit) and Adobe Acrobat 11 (32-bit) on Windows 10 64-bit:

1. Open a non-encrypted file
    2. Open an encrypted file
    3. Close the encrypted file

AxCrypt does not recognize that the file was closed until all files open in that particular program are closed. Furthermore, clicking  “Clean Open Files” does nothing. I am no expert in these areas, but it seems that both of these programs only have one process running for all open documents. If AxCrypt monitors the PID, this would explain what is happening.

From what I remember, version 1 did not have this drawback, but rather recognized when the specific document was closed. This is problematic, as now one can no longer assume that when an encrypted file is closed it’s decrypted version is wiped.

Thank you!

#3593 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Yehuda, we’ll still be investigating your issue. There was no need to uninstall, deleting the %localappdata%\AxCrypt folder would have sufficed.

Anyway, yes you’re right – AxCrypt 2 has the behavior you describe. The reason is that although AxCrypt 1 was sometimes ‘smarter’ – it also failed worse. AxCrypt 2 has complemented a simple detection mechanism, with the ‘clean up’ broom. Which should work, if you in fact have closed the application. Otherwise, it will not.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Clean Open Files
Your information: