Forums Bugs & issues Confusion about passwords

This topic contains 22 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 4 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

jsampson45

I had to change my password in order to sign in to post to this forum, as I use Lastpass to store passwords and my Lastpass vault became corrupt. I then found that the password for my encrypted files had become wrong. Eventually after many guesses I tried using the password for the forum instead of my password for the files, and found that I was then asked for the password for my files, and this gave me access to them. I am confused by this. Is a password actually needed to post to the forums? It seems now that I must give two passwords in order to decrypt my files. Which password should be for which? At the top of this page there is a button “Sign in” – sign in to what, exactly?

#6293 Reply

Johnnie

I see the confusion.

Sorry to hear about your LastPass vault becoming corrupted; that’s something new to me. You can always backup your vault with LastPass and you should always do this no matter which password manager you use. One of the best, and most secure, is KeePass as that’s open source, free and can import/export data from or to other password managers. It’s been extensively reviewed by experts as being solidly designed and robust.

To post on this forum you don’t need to be registered and you certainly don’t need a password as you can just visit this website and post. From your explanation I think you’ve gone through the “Sign In” page which does require your password.

When you encrypt your files with AxCrypt 2 you have one password. Think of it like LastPass: one AxCrypt password does everything – it signs you into the website and can be used to decrypt your files. It does both. You only need to sign in to the website if you want to

• purchase premium
    • get priority support (for premium customers)
    • use the password manager (for premium customers)

If you’re a free user then you’ll never need to sign in to the website.

To decrypt your files you only need your AxCrypt password which you must never lose or forget because AxCrypt don’t keep a record of it and cannot retrieve it. If you lose your AxCrypt password you’ll lose access to all of your data and will need to reset your account if you want to continue using the software for new files.

It’s simple really. Load the AxCrypt app on your computer, type in your email address (it should remember this) and then type in your password. It’ll remember your password until you shutdown or lock your computer. If you ever want to see your online account then it’s the same password.

#6498 Reply

moz

Hi,

I’ve download the latest version, many changes on it.. So I’ve open my file last week and today I can’t open it ! it seems the password isn’t correct… I used this password for a year and now it doesnt work and I can’t open it with oldest version… Why

Thanx for your help

#6500 Reply

Bertie

I’ve download the latest version, many changes on it.. So I’ve open my file last week and today I can’t open it ! it seems the password isn’t correct… I used this password for a year and now it doesnt work and I can’t open it with oldest version… Why

What is the exact error message? A screenshot will be helpful here.

#6560 Reply

moznf

Hi ! Thank you for you answer,

Here is the screenshot,

This the error message from my computer with the old version of Axcrypt, I’ve the latest version on my laptop, but I think I’m going to stay on the latest if I can’t unlock my files with the new one.

As a reminder, I know my password, but it doesn’t work since I’ve opened it with the latest version of AxCrypt

error axcrypt

#6562 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello moznf,

That is quite natural – and clearly documented in many places.

AxCrypt 2 can open AxCrypt 1-files.

AxCrypt 1 cannot open AxCrypt 2-files.

AxCrypt 2 will auto-upgrade AxCrypt 1-files to AxCrypt 2 format when you open them.

If you wish to revert to version 1.7 (then at least get the most updated version from http://www.axantum.com/ !), download the standalone / portable version of AxCrypt 2 from https://forum.axcrypt.net/, and decrypt the updated files and then re-encrypt them with version 1.

#6563 Reply

moznf

Thank you Svant !

The problem is that I can’t open my file with the new version, I never change my password and now, when I try to open it with Axcrypt 2, it says that the password is wrong… Is there an other way to convert file for Axcrypt 1 ?

#6565 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello moznf,

That’s not what the screen shot is saying.

If you can’t open the file with AxCrypt because it says the password is wrong, well, it is.

A likely scenario is:

1) You upgrade to AxCrypt 2.
    2) You sign up, set your password and sign in (thus typing your password at least three times) (on May 25).
    3) You open the file in question, and get a new prompt for a “file password”.
    4) You enter the right original AxCrypt 1-password.
    5) The file opens, and is automatically converted to AxCrypt 2, and using the new AxCrypt 2-password.
    6) Time passes. 3 Days to be more precise.
    7) You start AxCrypt and realize you have forgotten the password you set in step 2. (On May 28).
    8) You issue a password reset. (this will allow you to sign in again, not to open files encrypted with the old password).
    9) You sign in to AxCrypt 2 again, but can’t open the file.
    10) You uninstall AxCrypt 2, and re-install your old AxCrypt 1 version.
    11) You get the message in the screen shot.

You need to remember the password you set on May 25.

#6569 Reply

Patrick

When you encrypt your files with AxCrypt 2 you have one password. Think of it like LastPass: one AxCrypt password does everything – it signs you into the website and can be used to decrypt your files. It does both.

As someone new to AxCrypt, I do find this statement confusing, or will lead to confusion down the road.  The problem of forcing the website logon password to also be the file encryption password initially sounded simple until the time the user forgets the website logon password and chooses to reset it.  I would like to see the two being different at the start and the website provides ample warnings on the file encryption password, which cannot be reset and forgetting it will result in data loss.  I always use strong passwords (12 to 16 characters) on website logon and even stronger passphrases (20+ characters) for encryption.

#6571 Reply

Ronnie

Patrick, even if somebody resets their password they’ll still be able to open their files with their original password.

AxCrypt is encryption software. Resetting a password doesn’t give you access to your old files; it allows you to start encrypting new files with your new password.

#7349 Reply

Martin

I used to use axcrypt long ago. now coming back to it. Was excited about it until I forgot my password. So, of course, I hit the reset button and it appears that it changed my password to sign in on the web site, but it does not appear to change the password I need to use to encrypt or decrypt files. “If you have forgotten your password this will allow you to sign in again, but you will not re-gain access to any encrypted files or information stored in the online password manager. It remains encrypted with your old password, and we cannot decrypt it.” Confused. Can it be that I can’t change the original encryption password I used, rendering axcrypt now useless? So now I have axcrypt on my system and can’t encrypt or decrypt? While I like the single password entry to encrypt and decrypt multiple files combined with the timeout feature, my trial run is not going so well :(

#7350 Reply

Jordan

I hit the reset button and it appears that it changed my password to sign in on the web site, but it does not appear to change the password I need to use to encrypt or decrypt files.

As a previous user of AxCrypt you’ll be aware there are no backdoors.

Resetting a password doesn’t allow you access to your files; it allows you to continue using the software so that you can encrypt/decrypt new files. Your old files are lost forever unless you happen to remember the old password.

It’d be useless software if there was a reset facility allowing you to decrypt files at the press of a button. AxCrypt would be inundated with requests from governments, police departments and litigants all seeking access to encrypted files. They’d also be painting a big red target on their backs for hackers who’d use the backdoor as well.

Confused. Can it be that I can’t change the original encryption password I used, rendering axcrypt now useless?

Resetting your password allows you to use AxCrypt again. It doesn’t allow you access to your old files.

Sign out of AxCrypt, use your new (now reset) password and you’re good to go.

#7784 Reply

James

Signed up on AxCrypt website and downloaded the free version. Encrypted 2 folders with the same passwords separately. Now trying to open them – 1 folder opens, the other folder does not. Eroor message says – you are already signed in with this password. Please enter the original password for this file !! Now I use the same password for both actions and 1 folder has already opened !! Is this a way to get us to buy premium ? Very disappointed – I have used older version for last 10 years and never once had a problem

#7785 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello James,

I’m sorry to hear this. But, you have made some form of mistake here. If you contact support by emailing to support att axcrypt dott net we’ll try to help you out.

#7795 Reply

James

Signed up on AxCrypt website and downloaded the free version. Encrypted 2 folders with the same passwords separately. Now trying to open them – 1 folder opens, the other folder does not. Eroor message says – you are already signed in with this password. Please enter the original password for this file !! Now I use the same password for both actions and 1 folder has already opened !! Is this a way to get us to buy premium ? Very disappointed – I have used older version for last 10 years and never once had a problem

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Confusion about passwords
Your information: