Forums Help & support Decrypt on another system

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 3 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Jack

Dear support,

I have encrypted my files on PC A, now I have moved the still encrypted files to PC B, installed axcrypt, same password, but I cannot decrypt the files on PC B. I think I need the key file for this.

I tried installing AxCrypt directly onto a USB drive so I can run the same program and key on any pc I plug the usb into. But when I try to install on the USB all it asks is REPAIR or UNINSTALL. Obviously I dont want either. And I dont feel safe uninstalling axcrypt now as my files are already encrypted.

I guess I should decrypt everything, then uninstall axcrypt from my PC A, then reinstall it on my USB so it is portable and works everywhere. Anyone can confirm if this is the best solution for me?

Thanks for your time,

Ryan

#17061 Reply

Ryan

Well, I tried that, but it doesnt allow the user to choose an installation folder. Also after uninstalling, and reinstalling, it turns out the digital key file was never deleted from my computer and was recognized by AxCrypt after the reinstall…

Maybe I’m being really dumb and there is a simple solution, but I cant figure it out. I want to be able to decrypt and encrypt files on any system using the same digital key and password.

Thank you for your help.

Ryan

#17068 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Jack,

1.No, You can decrypt the encrypted files on Pc B using a file password(which was used in the encryption process).

Do you have installed both(1.x and 2.x ) the AxCrypt app versions in your system? If yes, please uninstall the AxCrypt 1.x  version then restart your machine/system. now install the latest version(2.x) in your system.

Please Note: You cannot have both AxCrypt 1.x and 2.x installed at the same system.

2. Do you have tried to install the AxCrypt portable version or installer version in USB?

you can use the AxCrypt portable version in your USB. you can decrypt/open the previously encrypted files with file password(which was used in file encryption).

3.No need to uninstall the AxCrypt app in your Pc A. you can use the AxCrypt portable version in your USB. you can decrypt/open the previously encrypted files with file password(which was used in file encryption) or encrypt the new file.

still, If you are facing any issues, please write to Support@axcrypt.net. we are happy to help you.

#17069 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Ryan,

We do not offer the option to change the install location. The reason is that too many users choose unsuitable locations, such as removable drives.

AxCrypt encrypted files are still encrypted with .axx extension only, after deleting/uninstall the AxCrypt app from the system.

Please note: AxCrypt account and AxCrypt app are required to open/decrypt the AxCrypt encrypted files. without the AxCrypt app  we cannot decrypt the encrypted files.

you want to be able to decrypt the encrypted files on any system using file password(which was used in the encryption process).

If you are facing any issues, please write to Support@axcrypt.net. we are happy to help you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Decrypt on another system
Your information: