Forums Help & support desktop.ini

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 3 years, 12 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

von

when I close axcrypt app it says desktop.ini not encrypted. is that fine ?

thanks

von

#14095 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello von,

AxCrypt can encrypt most of the file types. Also some file types AxCrypt will not encrypt due to security reasons.

AxCrypt will not encrypt any system files and operating system installed Files/Folders. So please avoid securing that kind of folders.

Because AxCrypt encrypted files will have a special file extension .axx and those will be opened only with the AxCrypt app.

If the above does not help,please provide more information about the issue and write a mail to support@axcrypt.net . you can send a screenshot showing where the problem is, it often helps us understand.

#15595 Reply

Scott Schuller

I recently installed Axcrypt and am using the Premium trail version. I created a file folder on my desktop with a couple sub-folders inside. Inside the sub-folders are files specific to each sub-folder. Axcrypt is allowing me to encrypt the files in each sub-folder, however, it is not allowing me to encrypt the sub-folders themselves and more importantly, the main file folder on my desktop. It keeps coming back to me with the following error:

‘desktop.ini’ was not encrypted due to technical restrictions. This may be caused by the file extension, location or other properties.

I even tried to place the main file folder that was on my desktop into another folder so it was basically a sub-folder itself and I still get the same error.

As I explained, this was simply a new file folder that I created to contain the two sub-folders which contain my files. Why will axcrypt not allow me to encrypt wither the main fil folder on my desktop OR the two sub-folders located within the main folder?

I hope to resolve this as one of my main needs is to secure the folders in addition to the files contained in them. Thank you for your assistance.

#15599 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Scott,

We are already explain, please read our previous reply in the below link.https://forum.axcrypt.net/forums/topic/desktop-ini/#post-15595

Include Subfolders:

You can encrypt a folder by using Secured Folders option. After that if you create a subfolder, it won’t re-encrypt the files of subfolder.

We can include the sub-folder by enabling the feature from the AxCrypt app menu File | Options | Include Subfolders. By default Include Subfolders will be disabled. So Sub-folders are not encrypted without enabling this feature.

#15603 Reply

Scott Schuller

Thank you for your reply, however, even after following your instructions – I was still unable to encrypt the main file folder I created that is located on my desktop. I still received the same desktop.ini error I received before when signing out of Axcrypt. I was able to open the folder on my desktop regardless as it did not encrypt it and request my password prior to opening. Lets forget about encrypting the sub-folders- I want to be able to encrypt the main file folder on my desktop which your suggestion does not seem to resolve. Any thoughts on this? Thank you for your prompt reply and assistance.

#15619 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Scott Schuller,

If you are receiving the warning dialog frequently, please click the Don’t show this again option. After that you never see this kind of warning.

AxCrypt has a feature called Secured Folder which provides the convenience to the users, to secure more than one files in a single operation. You can encrypt the folder/file(S) using AxCrypt Secured folder features.

AxCrypt Secured Folder:

AxCrypt secures files, individually. However, you can designate folders as ‘secured’. The folders will be monitored for new files, and AxCrypt will secure all new files with a single click, or when you sign out.

You can also select multiple files, including all files in a folder, to be secured in a single operation. They still remain individual files, and the folder itself is not secured, just the files in it.

AxCrypt Re-Encryption with a Broom icon:

If the file in fact is located in a folder designated as “Secured”, it will soon be re-encrypted again since those folders are monitored for unencrypted files and will encrypt them when you sign out, or click the “Broom” clean up icon.

AxCrypt 2 uses a more robust method for the automatic re-encryption, which sometimes means you as the user have to tell AxCrypt to do it. You’ll see this by the “broom” icon becoming red. This indicates there’s something in need of “clean up”, i.e. re-encryption.

Still, you are facing any query, please provide detailed information about the issue and write a mail to support@axcrypt.net. We are happy to help you.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: desktop.ini
Your information: