Forums Help & support Encrypt files with their own individual passphrases and sharing them

This topic contains 8 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 3 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

LR

How can I encrypt files with their own individual passphrases. When I right-click on a file, the only option that I have is “encrypt”. I cannot “add passphrase” or anything like that. I need different files to have different passphrases depending on who I am sharing them with. Also, I need to share the files via email with others who do not have AxCrypt. Can they decrypt the file using the passphrase? Do they need AxCrypt? Currently, when I send the file, they are not given an option to enter the passphrase.

#3260 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello,

This is Svante from AxCrypt!

(I’m responding only here, not separately to the two separate requests you sent via the premium help form on the web. Please also remember that we’re on central european time with daylight savings, UTC+2, and we work during normal office hours mostly).

Now, to answer your question (we’ll be making a video on this soon).

With AxCrypt 2, the way to enable others to open shared encrypted files is not via different individual passwords. It’s much easier. We call this key sharing.

What you do is that after encrypting the file, you right-click it in the main AxCrypt window and select “Key Sharing”. In the dialog box, you enter the other parties e-mail addresses, click ‘Share’ and then ‘Ok’. This will share the unique file key actually used for encrypting the file with the designated parties.

Once they receive the file, via e-mail or any other mechanism, they will be able to open it with their own password.

Yes, each person needs to have a copy of AxCrypt, but if they can’t or won’t install AxCrypt on their computers they can download the portable version. These are all available on the download page at http://www.axcrypt.net/download/ .

Svante

#3287 Reply

Charles

Svante, Im sad to read your post!

I had 1.7 and it allowed encryption and passphrase. The document could be emailed or left alone on my PC and nobody could open the file. But now with 2.1 I cant.

I dont wish to share documents, I want to passphrase files in my PC and thats it. Example, my hard drive crashed and a data recovery service will have to work on it. When they do, they will find my master password list in a text file, wipe open. I recently had two more crashes and the PCs went to shops for repairs. Each time, there are sensitive files right on the desktop for the shop to see and steal. Without being able to passphrase files for myself, no sharing, everything can be stolen and used. SAD! Are there any programs in the market that allow for document handling the way 1.7 did? I have x64 now and 1.7 is for x32 and cant be used by me.

#3289 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Charles,

I think you misunderstand. AxCrypt 2 does all that AxCrypt 1 does (and some more). You can still use it exactly like oyu describe for exactly that purpose, even more conveniently than before.

You do not *have* to share documents! If all you need is straight-forward password protection via 128-bit encryption of files (like AxCrypt 1.7), then the Free version of AxCrypt 2 fits the bill perfectly.

Best regards,

Svante

#8037 Reply

bindu

My work team is using axcrypt 1.6.4.4. when i install this on my new computer, i cannot use it and the message on add programs says axcrypt (remove only).  If i install the new version 2.0, i cannot seem to be able to share encrypted files with other team members without also sharing my sign in id. i only want to share files with others by sharing the passphrase.

how do i resolve these issues?

#8038 Reply

Douglas

AxCrypt 2 only supports the more secure method of key sharing (which you don’t want to use).

AxCrypt 1 allows use of multiple passwords (this is no longer available as it’s less secure).

We cannot offer any help for AxCrypt 1 as it’s no longer maintained or supported, sorry.

#8091 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello bindu,

Please do not use ancient and obsolete versions of AxCrypt or any other software. Version 1.6.4.4 is about 10 years old. For AxCrypt, if you insist to use the old version 1, please get the most recent version 1.7.3180 at http://www.axantum.com/ .

Or, better, update to version 2 and share files more easily and securely using the key sharing feature.

#19902 Reply

Steve Sousa

How do I generate and send someone the passphrase –  I don’t expect my customers to download your app when they get an email after I use the sharekey part of the program on my end (I am using v2.1) I need to encrypt a file and send it with little or no work on the receivers end.  If need be I send them the key in a separate email.. or maybe tell them to go to a site to get the file.

There not going to go through the long process of downloading a 30 day trial.. Sorry

#19905 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Steve Sousa,

“Please avoid sending a same query in different mediums. You may get duplicate response”

AxCrypt will use the AxCrypt account password to encrypt/decrypt the files. The account password is used/involved to encrypt the files with the AxCrypt app.

You can use the AxCrypt key sharing feature to encrypt your file(s), then key shares the file with other recipients,  If they want to open the received encrypted file then we have to share the file password with them or the files should be key shared with receivers’ email addresses.

There is no need to share passwords in order to send or share files securely with others.

AxCrypt has a key sharing feature letting you add recipients by email address, who when they receive the file can open it with their own AxCrypt password.

Key sharing embeds the shared key into the file. The file must thus first be key shared with the recipient, then sent or file shared. Please note that AxCrypt does not share or send the actual file. To see a quick instructional video explaining how to use key sharing, please view https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z3KOZD-Yks

Please note: Recipients needs to have an AxCrypt app, AxCrypt application and account is mandatory is decrypt the encrypted files.

The recipient just needs a free AxCrypt ID and will be automatically invited via email if necessary. The invitation email contains instructions on how to view and edit the file.

Please check out our video tutorials at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoSoXBjq6iCG5232fHoWStA and our other documentation at https://www.axcrypt.net/information/get-started/ to get started with AxCrypt.

If you have any queries, please feel free to contact our support via support@axcrypt.net.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Encrypt files with their own individual passphrases and sharing them
Your information: