Forums Help & support Encrypt non-system volume

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Nico 6 years, 9 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Nico

Hello ! :)

Is it possible and secure to encrypt a virtual file container (virtual disk file (VHD)) created with Windows ?

It’s much more convenient for me to have one big single encrypted folder where I store all my confidential files. Plus, file names can’t be read this way, I think.

Thank you !

#7039 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Nico,

If that’s the case, AxCrypt is not the droid you’re looking for. AxCrypt is a file encryption software, which means it encrypts single files, file by file. This has advantages and disadvantages depending on your scenario. If you are primarily interested in keeping your PC secure for the scenario where you lose it or it get’s stolen, I recommend Bitlocker to encrypt the entire hard disk or volume.

The other alternative is to use a volume encryption software such as VeraCrypt.

AxCrypt is more suitable to protect data that actually leaves your PC, for example via email or a cloud storage provider such as Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive etc.

#7040 Reply

Cyril

<p style=”text-align: left;”>BitLocker can create VHDs that you can carry around or you can encrypt an entire USB so you’re prompted for a password when you plug it in.</p>

#7041 Reply

Nico

Actually I was wondering what I should use, what would be the most convenient : Bitlocker or AxCrypt :)

Thank you both and have a nice day !

#7042 Reply

Cyril

Nico, I use BitLocker for VHDs for backups because you can set it to automatically unlock (when on your computer) but they won’t automatically unlock on another computer; you’d be prompted for your password. I prefer BitLocker over VeraCrypt because it’s tightly integrated into Windows and it has fewer glitches.

Uploading VHDs to the cloud is inconvenient because of their sheer size. For me it’s much more convenient to use AxCrypt in this situation because you only need to synchronise the files which have actually changed instead of an entire VHD.

In AxCrypt filenames can’t be read if you use the Anonymous Rename feature.

To use a VHD on another computer I drag and drop it onto a flash drive and because the VHD is encrypted it’s secure. However all my flash drives are encrypted by default using BitLocker in AES-256 mode and you get a native Windows dialog box whenever you plug the drive in.

AxCrypt is designed for securely sharing files with friends or when uploading them to the cloud.

#7043 Reply

Nico

Great, I better understand thanks to your explanations and I’m willing to use my VHD files like you do. Thus I started to use Bitlocker :)

Thank you Cyril !

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Encrypt non-system volume
Your information: