Forums Help & support Encrypting the Folder "itself"

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Anonymous 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Todd

A feature I think would be nice would be to encrypt the entire folder including not being able to open and see the file names contained within that folder (unless of course, you chose to decrypt)….I understand why it is set up the way it is, but that feature would be nice for those who want an extra layer of privacy…

Thanks!

#6484 Reply

RobertM

Hey, Todd.

I agree those would be nice features.

AxCrypt  Premium does support anonymized filenames.  Right now it looks like a two step procedure.  First you encrypt the files, then rename the files.  It would be nice if there was a selection to do both in one step.

#6486 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hi Todd & RobertM,

Encrypting the “actual folder” is a much different type of operation, and has different behavior in many ways than encrypting the files. AxCrypt is likely to remain a file encryption software for the forseeable future.

Encrypting & anonymizing in one step might be supported in the future, although we really do try to keep the number of options down…

#7978 Reply

Zeev

Sir,
    Svante write: “Encrypting & anonymizing in one step might be supported in the future, although we really do try to keep the number of options down…”

I am used to write long and descriptive filenames making manual and digital search for specific files much more easier.
    But than they are much more exposed for others too. So anonymizing by renaming is in many cases a must.
    And every time after encryption where I have to go back again to the context menu for the renaming operation I wonder how come that a most basic need such as a coupled encrypting-renaming process is considered a luxury in the leading encryption software ExCrypt.

I wrote the developer about this  issue a couple of years ago when ExCrypt 2 was under development and got a similar answer as stated above.  I couldn’t understand it then, and not now. Common, it is all about one additional line in the menu! Keeping the number of options down is nice when some rare demand is on the table, but not something that I am (and probably many users too) are doing several times per hour!.
    I even considered the usage of another software (Kruptus) that does enable a choice between separated or combined encryption\renaming. But got back to ExCrypt due to its excellent  reliability.
    In brief, irritating..

#7981 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Zeev,

It’s really all about resources, and also keeping options down. As you say, “it’s only one additional line in the menu”, problem is there many more requests for features in the context menu. If we had the inclination and resources to say yes to all of them, it really will become quite cluttered.

Nevertheless, this one we probably will implement, but as mentioned it’s also about resources. We’ll get there! But it may take a little more time.

#7985 Reply

Anonymous

Svante,
    Thank you for your fast response and so kind answer.
    I apologize for the somewhat harsh style in my original post. I fully agree with your POV of the situation. One person one line, many persons many lines..

I will be waiting patiently for the appearance of my requested line in the menu and in the meantime will going to upgrade to AxCrypt 2 and will enjoy further the great service of AxCrypt to my daily work. Thanks again.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Encrypting the Folder "itself"
Your information: