Forums Help & support encryption password vs account password

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 4 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Ephraim

I’ve been using AxCrypt for over 10 years. The encryption password I’ve used all that time has not been the same as the password for my AxCrypt account.  I recently upgraded to AxCrypt 2.0. If I understand the website correctly, 2.0 encrypts files with the account password; I assume this means that when I encrypt a new file or re-encrypt an old one that I decrypted with the old encryption password, I’ll have to use the account password.

I’d like to be able to keep using the old encryption password — it’s well-memorized. (The current account password is a hash generated by a password manager, not really memorizable.) Is there a way I can do that, for instance by making my account password the same as my old encryption password? If I do that on the account website, will the installed AxCrypt 2.0 program pick up the change? Or would I have to (1) uninstall AxCrypt 2.0, (2) change the account password, and (3) download and re-install AxCrypt 2.0? Or is there some other approach I can use to keep using my old encryption passwork without changing my account password?

#14563 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Ephraim,

You can change your current AxCrypt account password to the old one(which is used for opening your files), using the change password feature. No need to uninstall and re-install the AxCrypt 2.x.

If you wish to change your AxCrypt account password, please sign in at https://account.axcrypt.net/Home/Login and do so using the ‘Password’ function under the ‘Settings’ menu.

Whenever a file is encrypted, it’s encrypted with a random key. That key, in turn, is encrypted with the user’s password AND with the user’s public key. When the user changes the password on the website, the private key is re-encrypted with the new password.

When you change (not reset) your password for your AxCrypt ID account, all files previously encrypted with that AxCrypt ID account will automatically open with the newly changed password.

When the user then sign-in with the app, the local encrypted copy of the private key is updated with the new encrypted version from the server.

Thus, the user can actually “change” password for all his/her files. Note that the file can actually still be opened with the original password, since the file encryption key is encrypted with that also, still (until it’s updated).

We are advising users to use strong passwords as you got it from our password manager. So, always use strong passwords to increase file security.

Please avoid sending the same query in different mediums. You may get duplicate responses.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: encryption password vs account password
Your information: