Forums Help & support error inflating: invalid literal / length code

This topic contains 17 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
  • Author

error inflating: invalid literal / length code

I get this error message when I try to open or decrypt one of my encrypted files “error inflating: invalid literal / length code”.

How do I solve it? I really need to access the file.

#6255 Reply

Barry

That doesn’t sound like an AxCrypt error message. I think that’s a PDF parsing message which is a problem with your PDF reader.

1. What format is the file?
    2. When did you last have access to it?
    3. What software is giving you the error message?
    4. Please upload a screenshot of the error message

If it’s an error with third-party software then AxCrypt cannot help you and you’ll need to contact the application developer of the third-party.

#6256 Reply

1) it is an audio file, MP3

2) In feb

3) AxCrypt

4)

#6258 Reply

Barry

Are you trying to open the file by double clicking?

You might be able to resolve that error by manually decrypting it – right click on it and press Stop Securing. Just remember to encrypt it again once you’ve finished with it!

I’ve never seen that message before in AxCrypt and if the manual decryption I’ve suggested doesn’t work then somebody from AxCrypt will be along shortly to answer your question now that there’s sufficient information on the error (the screenshot).

I, like most others on here, am a user and have never encountered that error in AxCrypt.

Having programmed a few systems myself I can see from that message normally means the problem is that the compressed size of doesn’t match the size of the original. It’s easy for AxCrypt to resolve.

#6259 Reply

Barry

There’s another method you could try if manual decryption doesn’t work.

Go to File and Debug. Then open the Debug menu and try the Repair file option.

Please make sure you backup your file (to another folder) or your cloud storage before using that option.

#6269 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello,

When was this last opened, and when was it originally encrypted (or, more precisely, with what version of AxCrypt)?

#6278 Reply

I have tried to decrypt it, same error appears.

I encrypted the file Feb 11th, and that was also the last time I opened the file was Feb 21st.

I am using axcrypt 2.1

#6279 Reply

#6280 Reply

Also, I do not have a repair file obtion

#6281 Reply

Noah

Until Svante gets back to you here with some more information I suggest you download the latest version (2.1.1494.0) from the website:

https://forum.axcrypt.net/downloads/4519/

Once you’ve downloaded it try following Barry’s suggestion by manually decrypting it. With the latest version this may fix your problem.

If it doesn’t then to load the menu Barry talked about you need to click on File, Options, Debug. I’ve included a screenshot to help you. That should make the Debug menu appear in between File and Help.

If after all that you’re still unable to get your file to work then I’d email support directly here. Please let us know what the outcome is because it’s concerning that an encrypted file can’t be decrypted.

#6282 Reply

I just updated to the most recent version and did what Noah described above. It did not solve the issue, I will still can’t decrypt or open the audio file.

#6283 Reply

I have just been able to open / access the file by clicking on debug and then “try broken file”. The same error message showed up, I did not click “okay” but instead click on the file the was created (a decrypted version) and could the copy the file into another folder. Thank you for all the support!

#6284 Reply

Noah

I have just been able to open / access the file by clicking on debug and then “try broken file”. The same error message showed up, I did not click “okay” but instead click on the file the was created (a decrypted version) and could the copy the file into another folder. Thank you for all the support!

That’s great news :)

I think it must have been a bug in the previous version. The changelog for the older versions is here.

Make sure you keep your version up-to-date. You can just click the lightbulb image and it’ll automatically check for the latest version.

You can turn Debug mode off now. Any more questions, come back on here.

#6285 Reply

Noah

You should probably also delete the old encrypted (.AXX) version of your file now you’ve got a working decrypted copy. Also remove it from the AxCrypt Recent Files by right clicking on it (if it’s still there).

Then when you go to encrypt it next, all should be working perfectly.

Remember the golden rule of computers – always keep a backup (an encrypted backup is fine).

#8127 Reply

Jumi

I encountered the same error as well.

Invalid Length

I am using the latest version 2.1.1541.0. I have tried the debug –> “Try Broken File” but it doesn’t help. The decrypted file size only 15.9 MB whereby my original file size is 599MB.

Tried to use “Stop Securing” as well but it gave me the same error above. Please help. Thank you.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 18 total)
Reply To: error inflating: invalid literal / length code
Your information: