Forums Bugs & issues Feature Request: Self-Decrypter with V 2

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

RHF

I understand your reluctance to add this feature to Version 2.  However, it is one of the most valuable features to me in Version 1.

Why not just include the feature, with what ever warnings you wish, and let the user decide for himself whether to use it or not.  Meanwhile I will stick with Version 1.

Thanks for your product.

#4791 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello RHF,

Thanks for your input. Can you just explain why the standalone full version of AxCrypt 2 is a less good solution than the extremely limited decrypt-only version that is the self-decrypting version for AxCrypt 1?

I’m trying to understand exactly what it is that users are looking for, so that we can find a way to provide the benefits without the drawbacks.

#4792 Reply

Anonymous

Svante,

If I only needed the file encryption capability for myself, I would use your AxCrypt Version 2.  However, my use case may be slightly different from most of your users.

I work with several non-profit groups and often need to communicate with people who are not very computer literate. With AxCrypt V.1  I can encrypt and zip-up the files, and recipients can unzip and execute the self-decrypting files (with an agreed-upon password of course)  without having to install another program on their machine.  The files that I send, such as treasurer’s reports or bank statements, can be sensitive but are not really top secret. The security of this approach is quite adequate for our needs, and I am very reluctant to ask folks to install AxCrypt on their machines.

Thanks,

RHF

#4793 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Anonymous,

But that is kind of my point – with the standalone download version of AxCrypt 2, there is no need to install anything.

And, with the key-sharing functionality, you don’t even have to agree on a password with the recipient. They will set their own password and use that.

Still, we’ll be looking into ways of making AxCrypt 2 offer some of the very simple pure password-based modes of operation in the future.

#4794 Reply

Ryan

@Anonymous

The removal of the ability to create self-decrypting executables is the reason I stopped using AxCrypt.

I’ve moved over to 7-Zip which provides this feature using AES-256 bit encryption and it’s free and open source.

http://www.7-zip.org/download.html

#4795 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hi Ryan!

Thanks for your feedback. Sorry to see you go, but self-decrypting/self-unpacking files are really quite evil ;-) It’s just not a good function.

We’ll instead be focusing on making the stand alone version even easier to use, so it can be used without an account.

#12406 Reply

Frank

Is there any chance to get the self-decrypting feature back?

Currently i’m not working any more with actual AxCrypt. I don’t really understand how it should work, when i want to deploy a file securely with an individual key. The current version only uses the key from my ID and this is not, what i want to share.

In “former times” i used the older version for creating self-decrypting files with individual password. This worked great without any cloud and my customers didn’t neet any software for decrypting. The right-click-menu in the explorer was quick and easy to use. And you could see, what the tools does and how fast.

Now this is only a thing like VeryCrypt with a passwordmanager in the cloud.
    Sorry this is not, what i need.

#12412 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Frank,

No, sorry, there will be no self-decrypter for AxCrypt 2. It is too limited in use, and too dangerous.

However, for sharing purposes you can email your customers the download link to the stand alone AxCrypt 2 – no need to install.

For sharing, you should use the key sharing functionality, which enables you to share encrypted file access with anyone just using their email address. No need to distribute any passwords at all.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Feature Request: Self-Decrypter with V 2
Your information: