Forums Help & support File Password Never Set

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Nate Wolfe

Hello. I had an account password setup. I then changed it and can get into my account, but all my files require a File Password. I never set a specific file password, only the account password which doesn’t unlock my files… Please help!

#12826 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Nate,

I can’t check your account because I don’t know the account name – but I’m fairly sure you did not do a password *change* – you did a password *reset*. A *change* requires you to know the existing password, and will allow you to open previously encrypted files with the new password. A *reset* just resets the account password so you can sign in – but you can’t open the previously encrypted files with the new password. If this was possible, AxCrypt would not be much of an encryption solution…

So, when you do a password reset, you get access to the account, but opening previously encrypted files requires you to know the password that was in effect at the time of the encryption – thus the term ‘file password’.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: File Password Never Set
Your information: