Forums Bugs & issues Files encrypted but not encrypted!

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Edward 6 years, 7 months ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

dilbrb

Hi all of you !

That’s. I’ve some folders which contain about one hundred jpg images each;

So,

1) When I click on one folder and run Axcript, all files that are in it are locked and appear with the green padlock, well;

2) When I select all the files in a folder and run Axcript, all of them are locked too, well…

…but, what ever the system I use, 1) or 2),  if I click on a file supposed to be encrypted it is displayed in clear view, not encrypted ! very strange indeed !

It seems to me that something unexpected occurs. Could you suggest me what I can do to fix this problem.

Thanks a lot

#7875 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello dilbrb,

AxCrypt 2 works just like your email software or most other password-protected systems. You sign in once, and remain signed in until signed out. Just like you can read many emails without entering the password every time, AxCrypt will do the same. The files are still encrypted, but your password is remembered until you sign out of AxCrypt.

#7881 Reply

dilbrd

Thanks for your answer. I’ll do so.

#7882 Reply

dilbrd

Thanks for your answer. I’ll do so.

#7888 Reply

Gary

I am underwhelmed by the changes introduced with Axcrypt 2.

First, there’s a general assumption made in Axcrypt 2, that the last “key” used for decryption is the one to use for encryption of subsequent files. Not so. With Axcrypt 1, I could select a file or a batch of files and define a unique key for them when encrypting/decrypting, a key that might depend on the date and type of the file and its intended destination. For example, I might use one key for MS-Word files to my editor, another key for JPEGs to my compositor, another for videos to my news bureau and another for personal correspondence. Now, if I want to choose a new key for encryption, I have to log out and log back in again. WTF!  Of course, you’re also assuming that the files will remain on my lap-top, rather than being passed along as e-mail attachments and shredded from my lap-top as soon as I’ve sent them along.

Second, you make an assumption, that if I click on the icon for an encrypted file and Axcrypt2 has the key for that file, it is to be opened and its contents automatically displayed. WTF. That could be catastrophic. I don’t want files opened automatically, I want files decrypted and displayed <span style=”text-decoration: underline;”>ONLY</span> if I make such a choice and provide the key, exactly as I would have done with Axcrypt 1.

Third, you have removed the capacity to generate random names for files through the drop-down menu, which could be used to disguise quickly the file-type contained in an encryption and hence increase the security of the contents. For whatever reason, you’ve taken away that capability. WTF.

All this, within a few minutes of trying out Axcrypt 2. Journalism is fraught with enough risk in some parts of our not-so-friendly world, and these changes have actually taken personal security backwards, rather than forwards or just sideways. Thanks, guys. Not. I’ll go back to Axcrypt 1 or find some other way to manage my laptop and file-exchange security.

#7889 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Gary,

Thank you for taking the time!

Before making your final judgement, please consider that we might actually have plan ;-)

Your main gripes are around the fact that things work differently. This does not mean that you can’t do the same tasks as before! Just that it’s easier. I.e. different. Different is not the same as worse.

In order to share encrypted data with others with AxCrypt 1, you had to share passwords, and keep track of them. No more! You can still share securely.

There is no longer any need to share passwords in order to send or share files securely with others. AxCrypt has a key sharing feature letting you add recipients by email address, who when they receive the file can open it with their own AxCrypt password.

Key sharing embeds the shared key into the file. The file must thus first be key shared with the recipient, then sent or file shared. Please note that AxCrypt does not share or send the actual file. To see a quick instructional video explaining how to use key sharing, please view https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z3KOZD-Yks .

So, you can share your encrypted files with your editors or whomever without the need to have a zillion strong different passwords (if the passwords are just slight variations on each other, or made according to some system, what’s the point of encrypting them in the first place?).

You’re then upset because we do assume that if you’re at your computer you want to work as seamlessly as possible with your encrypted files, instead of entering passwords all the time. Actually, this was always present as an option in AxCrypt 1 – we just made it the standard. This is a different, but better, way to work and keep your files secure. It helps you use a really strong and good password.

AxCrypt 2 works just like your email software or most other password-protected systems. You sign in once, and remain signed in until signed out. Just like you can read many emails without entering the password every time, AxCrypt will do the same. The files are still encrypted, but your password is remembered until you sign out of AxCrypt.

Finally you say that we’ve removed the anonymous rename function. We didn’t. Try right-click, “AxCrypt” | “Rename”.

Some of these functions do require a paid subscription, but after so many years I had two options: let AxCrypt go and abandon it, or try to get some revenue and keep developing. I chose the latter.

I’ve written some longer blog texts on some of these subjects, please feel free to read:

https://forum.axcrypt.net/blog/use-of-different-passwords/

https://forum.axcrypt.net/blog/leaving-computer-axcrypt/

#7893 Reply

Ron

If your threat model is as high as you say it is Gary then you shouldn’t be using a computer for electronic correspondence. Paper, paper, never data.

“Thanks, guys. Not.”

Pay a developer to make some custom-made software for you because there’s no such thing as a free lunch.

Being an ingrate doesn’t endear you to anybody. Free software has been made and instead of thanking people for it all you can say is “WTF”. Whatever is happening to journalism.

#7901 Reply

Gary

Really, Ron? “Paper, paper, never data.” WTF. Did you +really+ say that? Ever watched a video on youtube exposing something brutal from some distant corner of the world, like public executions in areas under Saudi/NK/Chinese/ISIS control? Never wondered how those videos made it out of that distant corner? Certainly not on paper, Ron; and when the mails are subject to official inspection, probably not through normal correspondence channels, either. Electronic forwarding, through a VPN and/or TOR, is the only way of being even half-way sure that what you send will arrive and your hotel door will survive the night intact. As for bespoke software, that’s kinda hard to explain away if some authoritarian thug decides to inspect your laptop. Freeware has one truly huge advantage, in that it can be explained away. Walk in my mocassins for a while, Ron – do a little freelance journalism in a global warm-spot, face some inquisitiveness at a border crossing, explain-away why you’ve got encrypted folders on your laptop. Then come back and speak from a position of strength, OK?

#7906 Reply

Edward

I can’t comment for Ron but paper is the only secure way of doing things. Even the Russians only use typewriters for their most secret work and VPN + TOR has been shown to be easily compromised.

People aren’t bothered: if you don’t wish to use version 2, don’t. You’ve not paid for either version and your obnoxious tone to the developer will get you blunt replies.

Not happy? Go elsewhere or be polite on here.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Files encrypted but not encrypted!
Your information: