Forums Bugs & issues Files Left Un-encrypted

This topic contains 3 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 4 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

rico

Hello,
    I reported this issue in August 2016, and this week I noticed that it is still happening. When I looked in the “%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\AxCrypt\” sub-directories, there were some files used through last week that were re-encrypted, but a copy was left here. The AxCrypt GUI does not indicate that there are any files that need to be encrypted, no files left to be encrypted (the broom icon is not present in any file).

This is really bad as it is a huge security issue.

I am using AxCrupt 2.1.1585.0 on Windows 10 10.0.17763 N/A Build 17763.
    Regards,
    –rico

#15379 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello rico,

I am sorry to hear this.

We have literally hundreds of thousands of users a succeed in signing in using the AxCrypt app without any issue.

The location(C:\Users\’user name’\AppData\Local\AxCrypt) is for the temporary decrypted copies of the files. Those will either be cleaned automatically at the earliest opportunity or when you click the red clean “broom” icon in AxCrypt.

AxCrypt works by decrypting files temporarily and then launching the appropriate application for the decrypted file, which thus is entirely unaware of AxCrypt. AxCrypt monitors the system for the launched app to exit, and when it detects this it will re-encrypt the file and wipe (overwrite) the decrypted file and then delete it.

I think still your files are not re-encrypted completed(not sure). please click the broom icon in the AxCrypt app when you encrypted the files.

Note: The temporary files will be removed as soon as the opened encrypted file closed/signed out from the AxCrypt app.

Still, you are asking any issues, please provide more information about the issue and write a mail to support@axcrypt.net.

#15385 Reply

rico

Hello Pabhukumar,

Thank you for your response.

But, as I said AxCrypt does note have any indication that there are files left to be encrypted, including the broom icon is not present, and the actual application, that runs that specific file, is not running either.
    The file will be left in on of the %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\AxCrypt\ sub-directories even after I reboot the laptop.
    It does not happen every time and I cannot tell you when/why it happens. But it does happen.

Regards,
    –rico

#15390 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello rico,

As I said the previous response like AxCrypt monitors the system for the launched app to exit, and when it detects this it will re-encrypt the file and wipe (overwrite) the decrypted file and then delete it.

If you have updated the encrypted files contents and which is pending for re-encryption, then please check the folder(C:\Users\”User Name”\AppData\Local\AxCrypt)If you found any subfolders inside the AxCrypt folder,please clean the local cache by the below-described way.

Please try to clear the AxCrypt local contents by clicking the Reset button in the sign in dialog or via the AxCrypt file menu File | Options | Clear All Settings & Restart.

Now start the AxCrypt app without any issue.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
Reply To: Files Left Un-encrypted
Your information: