Forums Bugs & issues Files mysteriously decrypted for no reason

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Jon 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Peter

On two separate occasions today, my colleague and I noticed that an entire folder would magically start decrypting itself. It was actually a little scary because it looked as if my system was hacked and someone was decrypting the files.

Can anyone suggest a reason as to why this might happen?

#6157 Reply

Jon

You’ll need to provide some more information.

• What version of AxCrypt are you using?
    • What do you mean it’s starting to decrypt?
    • Did you select decrypt?
    • Could somebody else have selected decrypt?
    • Have you encrypted the folder again? What happens?
    • When you Sign Out of AxCrypt 2 what happens to your files.
    #6160 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Peter,

That doesn’t sound right… Most likely it was a secured folder that was removed as secured, or selected to be decrypted. You say you and someone else. Is it on a network share, shared by many?

#6163 Reply

Peter
    • What version of AxCrypt are you using? 2.1.1489.0
    • What do you mean it’s starting to decrypt? We stare at the folder with several encrypted files then the file icons start changing one by one from the AxCrypt icon to, for example, a PDF icon
    • Did you select decrypt? To the best of my knowledge, no, unless we accidentally right clicked the folder, clicked Decrypt and didn’t notice it (it is possible, but unlikely)
    • Could somebody else have selected decrypt? Only my colleague and I have access to this software, and we were both working on the same PC
    • Have you encrypted the folder again? What happens? That is what we did, we encrypted again and moved on
    • When you Sign Out of AxCrypt 2 what happens to your files. Nothing, they remain encrypted
    #6164 Reply

Peter

That doesn’t sound right… Most likely it was a secured folder that was removed as secured, or selected to be decrypted. You say you and someone else. Is it on a network share, shared by many?

My colleague was sitting next to me and we were working off the same physical drive. That being said, the files are on a network share.

#6165 Reply

Jon

When you Sign Out of AxCrypt 2 what happens to your files. Nothing, they remain encrypted

If I’m understanding you correctly, this is why.

The way AxCrypt 2 works is that whilst you’re logged in your files are accessible. It does this to make accessing your files more seamless. Forcing a user who is sitting at their computer to enter a password every time is pointless.

This behaviour poses little security risk because as soon as your screensaver starts, or another user signs-in to their Windows account, AxCrypt will demand your password. Without your AxCrypt password your files remain secure.

AxCrypt also demands your password if you restart your computer. If you prefer then you can manually sign out of AxCrypt each time but there’s no reason to do this if you’re sitting at your computer!

If I’ve misunderstood please post back and somebody will try to help you.

#6166 Reply

Peter

When you Sign Out of AxCrypt 2 what happens to your files. Nothing, they remain encrypted

If I’m understanding you correctly, this is why.

The way AxCrypt 2 works is that whilst you’re logged in your files are accessible. It does this to make accessing your files more seamless. Forcing a user who is sitting at their computer to enter a password every time is pointless.

This behaviour poses little security risk because as soon as your screensaver starts, or another user signs-in to their Windows account, AxCrypt will demand your password. Without your AxCrypt password your files remain secure.

AxCrypt also demands your password if you restart your computer. If you prefer then you can manually sign out of AxCrypt each time but there’s no reason to do this if you’re sitting at your computer!

If I’ve misunderstood please post back and somebody will try to help you.

Jon, I believe you have misunderstood. The issue is that encrypted files are magically being decrypted. I highly doubt AxCrypt decrypts all your encrypted files simply because the user logs off/restarts their machine.

#6169 Reply

Jon

Jon, I believe you have misunderstood. The issue is that encrypted files are magically being decrypted. I highly doubt AxCrypt decrypts all your encrypted files simply because the user logs off/restarts their machine.

I was stating that decrypted files are again encrypted once the user logs off; not the other way around. But it seems your issue is something else.

The magical decryption doesn’t happen on any of my machines (two at home, one at work) so I’m guessing there’s a problem with your configuration.

As we’re all customers on here it may be quicker to get your problem solved by emailing support because what you’re describing is atypical.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Files mysteriously decrypted for no reason
Your information: