Forums Help & support Forgot File Password

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Bernard MARTIN 4 weeks ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Ritik Vyas

Sir, I have forgot my original file password and now I’m unable to change it or decrypt my files although I have signed in successfully please help me in this regard.

#11382 Reply

Svante
    Keymaster

Hello Ritik,

Unfortunately, if you do not know the password for an AxCrypt-encrypted file you cannot open it, even if you can sign in to the account. This is by design, it’s just this situation that AxCrypt is made for and it works like this even if you actually are the original owner of the file.

Please check the FAQ at https://www.axcrypt.net/support/faq/ for more information.

#11551 Reply

Bernard MARTIN

Hello, i have files encrypted with AxCrypt 1 and i know the “encryption key” that worked with it.

I had to restore Windows 10 and AXCrypt 1 is no more on my laptop: how can i get an old version?

or How can i decrypt the same files with AxCrypt 2 (i had to restore Windows and AXCrypt 1 is no more on my laptop).

PS: i do not remenber the password that I created initially to logon my  AxCrypt 1 account associated with the above email but i do remember the encryption key for AxCrypt1.

Thanks for your kind help.

#11552 Reply

Bernard MARTIN

My files encrypted with AxCrypt 1 are on a USB key that i own. (not in the online password files of my account).

#11553 Reply

Svante
    Keymaster

Hello Bernard,

You can decrypt your AxCrypt 1-encrypted files with AxCrypt 2. Just sign in to AxCrypt 2, and select “decrypt”. If your AxCrypt 2 password is not the same one used to encrypt the file, you will be prompted for the original password.

#11555 Reply

Bernard MARTIN

Thanks for such a prompt reply.

I do not remenber the password i used initially with AxCrypt 1: is the crypt/decrypt key the same as the password?

I do know the crypt key i used but not the password: so is there a way to request a password change somewhere if key and password are two different items?

So far i did not create a new password for AxCrypt 2.

#11556 Reply

Svante
    Keymaster

Hello Bernard,

Sorry, but I do not understand what you mean when you differentiate between “password” and “crypt/decrypt key”. There’s always just the password – which is used to encrypt/decrypt.

So, when you say “_I do know the crypt key i used but not the password_” I don’t now quite what you mean.

If you have forgotten the password used to encrypt the original file, then you can’t decrypt. Please read the FAQ at https://www.axcrypt.net/ .

#11582 Reply

Bernard MARTIN

Thks Svante, in fact to decrypt my old AxCrypt 1 file i had to take two different steps:

1. login to AxCrypt via Internet and for this i was requested a login password. It has nothing to do with the “crypt password” (i call it “crypt key”) that i used before and that i still have.

2. once logged in and connected, i could click on the decrypt button and was prompted for the original password and it worked fine.

As far as i can remember, before when i was using AxCrypt 1 i never had to login . Everything was done locally on my laptop and it worked fine all the time. So something must have changed or maybe i was just unaware of the necessity to login each time to encrypt or decrypt a file with Ax Crypt 2. A new strategy?

Anyway i recovered all i needed and i wanted to thank you.  Sorry if i was not clear enough before.

Bernard

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Forgot File Password
Your information: