Forums Community Forgot Password

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 7 years ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Andrew

Hello, I am using Windows 7 running AxCrypt 2.1.1481.0 .  I am currently signed out.

I dont remember my password!  I know I can reset the password, but I will loose access to the old encrypted files.

I want to try various combinations of passwords that I use, but is there a format for password – such as minimum 6 characters, alpha-numeric, 1 capital letter, 1 special character etc?

Thanks in advance

#5372 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Andrew,

Well, it depends on when you set the password – but the rules are no help in guessing your password. At the very least, it has to be 10 characters. When you set it from the app a certain computed complexity must also be achieved.

You yourself is the only source of information for reducing the search space, i.e. do you have some kind of format that your passwords usually follow (a bad idea, but it might help you out here).

#5373 Reply

Andrew

Svante,

Thanks for the prompt response.

If its any help, I created the password on this Windows 7 Prof computer in Aug 2016.

Do I understand from your statement that the password has to be minimum 10 letters/characters?

Andrew

#5374 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Yes, minimum 10 characters (no simple formula for letters / digits / etc). You must assume that every character in every position can by essentially anything…

#5381 Reply

Greg

Andrew, you can always try the Password Variator; it’s a freeware utility that will “build a file with all possible variations, typos and mistypes inside. “

#5382 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Greg,

Thanks for that tip. I’ll add an issue to update our brute force software to accept password lists like that.

#5677 Reply

Dave

Hi,

I’ve forgotten part of my password on some photos of my daughter when she was little.  I know the first 3 characters but have forgotten the last three.  Is there a way to brute force Axcrypt with a dictionary or password list/combinations?  Or does anyone know of a brute force program that may help me?  I am technically minded.

Thanks,

Dave

#5678 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Dave,

Yes, there is a simple and ugly brute force app available. Please send a request to support@axcrypt.net and we’ll send you the info.

#5694 Reply

Dave

Hi Svante,

Thank you for the file – it worked a treat and saved my files.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.

#5695 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hi Dave,

Glad it worked out for you!

For others reading this – it’s a really good idea to write down the password used on paper and store it in a secure place. That the password search succeeded here was due to the fact Dave could limit the number of possibilities to a few thousand. If it gets just a bit more complex, it’ll just take too long (years, centuries, eons, lifetime of universe, longer…).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Forgot Password
Your information: