Forums Help & support hmac validation error

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 5 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Anonymous

How do i fix “hmac validation error”?

#5766 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Anonymous,

This depends on the version of AxCrypt you’re using – but it also signifies a serious problem with the file. The meaning is essentially that the file has been modified after it was encrypted. That’s not good.

You can’t really ‘fix it’. With AxCrypt 1.x you can chose to ignore it, but no guarantees are given as to the correctness of the decryption. Go to http://www.axantum.com/ and check the section on registry settings for instructions how to instruct AxCrypt to ignore the error.

#11068 Reply

Shawn Park

Is there a way to get AxCrypt 2.x to ignore this error and decrypt also?

#11070 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Shawn,

Under Options, enable ‘Debug’. Then in the Debug menu, chose ‘Try Broken File’.

#11722 Reply

david lispet

Is there any other way, to fix the HMAC error?
    I’ve set AxCrypt (mac) to debug mode and with the “try broken file” option enabled in the debug menu.
    but it’s not giving me the option to open the AXX file anyway.

Would really appreciate further help, it’s a foto archive i can’t seem to open

#11723 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello David,

The Mac build is perhaps a little outdated and we have improved this, but you should be able to try to decrypt the file. You can’t use the regular open file, you should try to decrypt the file (and only a copy of the file, don’t work on the original, keep that unchanged) from within AxCrypt.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: hmac validation error
Your information: