Forums Help & support How can I make use of export/import public sharing key or Axcrpyt ID ?

This topic contains 24 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 4 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
  • Author

von

Also once a encr file is shared with someone, it does not keep a log of files and users

that it has been shared with and when. How do I find that ? And how long does it take

for the receiver to get the message that it has been shared from your system? Please

add that feature to the app.

For eg., When I shared a file with my daughter, she has not received any

mail for hours now. Please help address this.

thanks

von

#14099 Reply

Azhaguraja B
    Keymaster

Hello Ax,

AxCrypt key sharing is a premium feature.

Free subscription users can use Key Management feature to send the encrypted file(s) to other users without sending the file password.

As per my colleague, Prabhu replied in the earlier of this forum,

Using Key Management feature, we can export our public keys and import some other AxCrypt user’s public keys to share the encrypted file to others.

We can export our public sharing key from the AxCrypt app menu File | Key Management | Export My Public Sharing Key.

After exporting our public key, we need to send the public key file to the 3rd party peoples(who is going to share and send the file with us).

Now, 3rd party people will import our public key file to their AxCrypt app using the menu option File | Key Management | Import Someone’s Public Sharing Key.

After importing the public key file, the user email will be displayed in the key sharing known contact list. Now the sender can key share the file with the known contacts.

For example: If you want to send the file to User-A,

Step 1: Ask the User-A to export and send the public key file to you.
    Step 2: After getting the User-A’s public key, import the same into your AxCrypt app.
    Step 3: Now select the file and choose Share Keys option in the right-click context menu.
    Step 4: Then select the user from the known contacts list and click Share and Ok.
    Step 5: Send the shared encrypted file to User A via email, drive or etc.

Please check out our video tutorials at https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoSoXBjq6iCG5232fHoWStA and our other documentation at https://forum.axcrypt.net/information/get-started/ to get started with AxCrypt.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 8 months ago by  Azhaguraja B.
    #14102 Reply

Anonymous

Prabhu,

you mentioned “Now, 3rd party people will import our public key file to their AxCrypt app using the menu option File | Key Management | Import Someone’s Public Sharing Key.”

On MacOS when my daughter installed it she could not import my public sharing key which I sent via email.

Should she also have PREMIUM account ?

#14103 Reply

Azhaguraja B
    Keymaster

Hello Von,

AxCrypt app should be in the online state to fetch the user’s public keys when key sharing with the files. Please start the AxCyrpt app with internet-enabled and then start using the key sharing feature.

AxCrypt app will connect our servers to fetch the recipient user’s public key. If the AxCrypt app is in an offline state, then the app failed to communicate with our servers. That’s the reason we disabled the Add Contact textbox.

If you do not want to use the AxCrypt app in an online state, then use the Key Management feature(as explained earlier in this forum) to key share the file.

We do not have a log to store when the file was key shared? and with whom?. We do have a log file to monitor and capture the exceptions/issues.

Key sharing will not take more time to complete the process. it will take very less time to complete the process. AxCrypt will not send any emails or files to some other users while key sharing.

Key sharing embeds the shared key into the file. The file must thus first be key shared with the recipient, then sent or file shared. Please note that AxCrypt does not share or send the actual file. To see a quick instructional video explaining how to use key sharing, please view https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z3KOZD-Yks .

#14106 Reply

Azhaguraja B
    Keymaster

Hello Anonymous,

AxCrypt Premium subscription is required to use the AxCrypt mac version. With Free subscription in mac version, we can just open/decrypt the encrypted files. If you want to do more, please purchase our premium subscription.

For more info, https://forum.axcrypt.net/pricing/.

#14107 Reply

Ax

Thank you for the explanation, the penny has finally dropped as the saying goes!

#14116 Reply

Anon

Encrypted folders with AxCrypt on external drive. Sent drive to a friend. How do they unencrypt? Can they unencrypt the folder and contents after they install AxCrypt and register? or must the files be shared by my to them first before encryption?

#14122 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Anon,

You can send the encrypted files to other users. If they want to open the received encrypted file(s), then we have to share the file password(which was used in the file encryption – the AxCrypt account password) with them or the files should be key shared with receivers’ email addresses. AxCrypt application is mandatory to decrypt the encrypted files.

If we do not want to share the password with others, then please use AxCrypt key sharing feature after encrypting the files. Let me explain more about the key sharing feature,

There is no need to share passwords in order to send or share files securely with others. AxCrypt has a key sharing feature letting you add recipients by email address, who when they receive the file can open it with their own AxCrypt password.

Key sharing embeds the shared key into the file. The file must thus first be key shared with the recipient, then sent or file shared. Please note that AxCrypt does not share or send the actual file. To see a quick instructional video explaining how to use key sharing, please view https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9z3KOZD-Yks .

Sharing a secured file is made directly from the AxCrypt software by choosing the secured file, click the share button and simply select the team member you want to share it to. The recipient just needs a free AxCrypt ID and will be automatically invited via email if necessary. The invitation email contains instructions on how to view and edit the file.

Please Note: AxCrypt account is required to secure/unsecure the files.

#14392 Reply

JH

I have encrypted and added another email (different email from myself) but they have not received an email nor file to decrypt….do I need to email them the file outside of axcrypt for them to receive and open it?

#14393 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello JH,

You can send the encrypted file via email(Gmail, yahoo, etc..) to other users.

If they want to open the received encrypted file then we have to share the file password(which was used in the file encryption – the AxCrypt account password) with them or the files should be key shared with receivers’ email addresses. AxCrypt application is mandatory is decrypt the encrypted files.

If we do not want to share the password with others, then please use AxCrypt key sharing feature after encrypting the files. Let me explain more about the key sharing feature,

There is no need to share passwords in order to send or share files securely with others.AxCrypt has a key sharing feature letting you add recipients by email address, who when they receive the file can open it with their own AxCrypt password.

Sharing a secured file is made directly from the AxCrypt software by choosing the secured file, click the share button and simply select the team member you want to share it to. The recipient just needs a free AxCrypt ID and will be automatically invited via email if necessary. The invitation email contains instructions on how to view and edit the file.

Viewing 10 posts - 16 through 25 (of 25 total)
Reply To: How can I make use of export/import public sharing key or Axcrpyt ID ?
Your information: