Forums Help & support How do I create a self-decrypting file

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 7 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Josh

I just upgraded from V1 free to V2 free.

In V1, I could select “Encrypt copy to .EXE” and specify a password for that specific file. Then I could send that file to someone who would not need to have Axcrypt installed on their machine.

How do I do that in V2? Sharing a password via a remote server or requiring them to have anything installed on their machine is NOT an option.

If this is not possible in V2, where can I get an installation copy of V1 so that I can reinstall it?

#5500 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello,

We don’t support self-decrypting archives in version 2 for the following reasons: https://forum.axcrypt.net/blog/avoid-self-decrypting-files/ .

Nobody needs anything *installed* on their machines if you want to share files or send them to others. They *do* need AxCrypt. Which they can get as a bundled executable + the data (i.e. self-decrypting), or like it works now, they download or get the standalone version of AxCrypt. No installation required. Plus the encrypted file of course.

Version 2 does not share passwords via a server. That’s not how it works. It works using strong public key cryptography. You just enter the email address of the user who should be able to open the file using the “key sharing” feature. Then you send or share the file. No password sharing required.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: How do I create a self-decrypting file
Your information: