Forums Help & support How to backup with Axcrypt

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 6 years, 10 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Michael

I was watching television and heard about the cyber attacks around the world.

I want to backup my data on Windows to a pendrive to keep it safe.

Can Axcrypt encrypt my pendrive or even a DVD? How do I do it?

I’ve got many files and I don’t want to encrypt them all individually.

I tried saving the Password Generator webpage for use when my computer doesn’t have WiFi but the page doesn’t work. Why is this?

#6401 Reply

Robin

Windows File History?

With AxCrypt you’ll have to encrypt every individual file and you can’t encrypt folders within folders.

It may be a long and painful process depending upon the amount of data you have.

#6404 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Michael,

AxCrypt is file encryption software, not backup software. It protects your information from disclosure, not destruction. Backup protects your information from damage, and AxCrypt-encrypted files can be backed up like any other file.

I tried saving the Password Generator webpage for use when my computer doesn’t have WiFi but the page doesn’t work. Why is this?

I’m not sure about what you’re saying, but it seems you’re saying that a our web page doesn’t work when you’re offline. No, it doesn’t. That’s how web pages work, you visit a server on the web and it does cool things for you. Without Internet access, no access to our (or anyone elses’) server, and thus no function. That’s kind of the thing with the web… If I’ve misunderstood you, please elaborate.

#6406 Reply

Michael

AxCrypt is file encryption software, not backup software. It protects your information from disclosure, not destruction. Backup protects your information from damage, and AxCrypt-encrypted files can be backed up like any other file.

I want to backup my files and then encrypt them.

Can I do this? Robin suggests Windows File History but I want an easy way to encrypt everything on my USB in case it gets lost or stolen.

I’m not sure about what you’re saying, but it seems you’re saying that a our web page doesn’t work when you’re offline. No, it doesn’t.

I’ve got some other password generating webpages saved to my computer and when I don’t have internet access I can still press the GENERATE button and it makes a new password. Axcrypt doesn’t.

#6408 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Michael,

You can encrypt files with AxCrypt, and then backup them as mentioned. One way is to zip the files, and then encrypt the zip file before backuping it for example.

If the password generator functionality is entirely contained in Javascript (or is actually fake…), it might work offline, but that’s not how our generator works. I would not trust such a Javascript generator until I’ve verified their source of randomness and the random number generator used. If it uses Math.random() you should absolutely NOT use it to generate passwords! See https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/docs/Web/JavaScript/Reference/Global_Objects/Math/random .

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: How to backup with Axcrypt
Your information: