Forums Help & support How to change Main password on Axcrypt 2.X

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 1 year, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Martin

Hi

I’m giving a try to axcrypt 2.X I was (I am) a bit reluctant to use 2.x as I feel 1.7 was much better it but I’ll give a try. First problem I find is that I can’t  change the password that Axcrypt ask when opening the program

Thanks for the support!

#4818 Reply

Svante
    Keymaster

Hello Martin,

What do you mean that you can’t change the password?

You can do this under the File | Options menu, like this:

Change Password

If this does not work for you, please send us a screen shot of the situation.

#4820 Reply

Martín

Thanks for your fast reply

I thougth it was for changig the password of the file not the main password. Thanks again for your reply and sorry for the inconvinience.

As I said I am a fan ofAx 1.7 and I’ll give a try to version 2, although I’m a bit confussed with some of the new features

Anyhow i’ll keep on advising Ax as great product

B.R

#4821 Reply

Svante
    Keymaster

Hi,

Good luck, and thanks for the feedback. We’ll try to make it even clearer. The “main” password is for all files encrypted with AxCrypt 2. You sign in once per session, and then encrypt and decrypt using that password automatically.

#4866 Reply

Shawn

Svante,

What happens if I encrypt a bunch of files with my new Axcrypt 2.x account, and then change the password for my account.

Will the files I already encrypted still open with my new password?  Or do I need to re-encrypt them after I change my account password?

#4868 Reply

Svante
    Keymaster

Hi Shawn,

That’s the beauty of AxCrypt ID account which is based on public key technology.

When you change (not reset) your password for your AxCrypt ID account, *all* files previously encrypted with that AxCrypt ID account will automagically open with the new changed password.

Technically, this works because your AxCrypt ID is associated with a public key pair. Each file is encrypted with a random and unique file key. This file key is in turn encrypted and placed in the encrypted file. The file key is encrypted both with the original password using a symmetric encryption key wrap, but also with your AxCrypt ID public key.

When you change (not reset) your password for your AxCrypt ID account, essentially what happens is that you re-encrypt your private key of the key pair with the new password.

So, when opening a file when signed to your AxCrypt ID the following happens:

– Your private key of the AxCrypt ID is decrypted using your sign in password.
    – The encrypted file key is located in the .axx AxCrypt encrypted file, and decrypted using the private key.
    – The decrypted file key is used to decrypt the actual file contents.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: How to change Main password on Axcrypt 2.X
Your information: