Forums Help & support I can not decrypt

This topic contains 13 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 1 year ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

artur

Hi

I need help!!!
    I encrypted my files with AxCrypt, i put a password and i used a key file and then i used windows to encrypt the key files.
    I recently had a problem with a windows update and have to format the computer, but i put the files on an external hard drive.
    Now comes the problem, the new windows says that i do not have access to the key files, because of the user change, i can not open them or move them, it does not allow me to use the key files to decrypt the files AxCrypt.
    I do not have the “windows.old” files, i formatted them by boot.

Thanks

#12126 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello artur,

Sorry to say, but briefly: your files are probably lost.

You appear to have encrypted the key file with Windows EFS, and then lost the keys to the EFS encryption by way of the re-install. This is probably the single most common cause of data loss in Windows – encrypting files (not just AxCrypt key files) with EFS and then re-installing Windows or losing the original installation in some other way.

I must also mention that we do display a clear warning to print out a physical copy of the key file when you create one. But, as many don’t do this, the key file option has shown itself to be too dangerous so we do not have this in AxCrypt 2. AxCrypt 1, which you’re using, is obsolete and unmaintained since several years.

Once again, I am sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but this is what seems to be the situation.

#12363 Reply

Thomas Waling

I’m using windows 10. Have only one encrypted file it has an xlsx ext.

I have not lost my password but no amount of clicking on the file gives any opportunity to use the pw.

Only right click opens the panel with Open in bold but clicking on it does nothing.

Click on Axcrypt then Decrypt is in bold but clicking on it does nothing.

Any ideas please.

#12364 Reply

artur

Hello Thomas Waling

Have you tried copying the file to another location or even another computer?
    You could also try reinstalling or installing another version, it could be a bug.
    I use here, the same way as you, with windows 10, but in docx, I never had problems.

Only have problems, when I tried to use it in a different way, encrypting with windows, but this was lack of experience, I overcame ehehehe.

#12366 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Thomas Waling,

Please provide more information about the issue and write a mail to support@axcrypt.net.

If you can send a screenshot showing where the problem is, it often helps us understand

#12385 Reply

Thomas Waling

Found a newer version of AxCrypt and this allowed me to access my file. Thanks for the help.

#30260 Reply

Nelson Ramirez

Good Day,

I would appreciate some assistance decrypting my files with your Axcrypt program. When I attempt to decrypt, nothing happens. Nothing at all. I am concerned that should I encrypt any additional files that I will not be able to open them. Your assistance is greatly appreciated.

#30269 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Nelson,

We have responded to your support email. Please check your email.

“Please avoid sending a same query in different mediums. You may get the duplicate response”

#30309 Reply

winoline pako

I cannot open my old axx file resided in my thumb drive for 5 or 6 years before.
    The error is the GUID mismatch. The encrypted file was created by the old free version. I reinstalled the legacy version and tried to decrypt but no hope at all.

#30323 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello winoline,

Most often, this error occurs because the file is not produced by AxCrypt, but rather a different kind of file accidentally renamed to end with .axx. Another scenario is that it is a left-over after a previous decryption was interrupted at the stage where the original is overwritten.

If you mistakenly rename non-AxCrypt files to end with .axx, in which case renaming back to its appropriate extension will fix the issue since the file was never encrypted in the first place in this scenario.

Still, you are not able to decrypt the file, AxCrypt provides a feature called Try Broken File. You can decrypt the corrupted AxCrypt encrypted files by navigating the menu File | Options | enable Debug from the AxCrypt app.

Now you could see the Debug the menu in the AxCrypt app. From the debug menu choose Try Broken File.

Then you will be prompted for file selection. Select the corrupted encrypted file and then AxCrypt will try to decrypt the file. If successfully decrypted, then you can see the decrypted file in the file location.

Unfortunately, If the file is actually damaged to this extent, sorry to say, no, it can’t be fixed. The data is just not there to decrypt it.

If you still facing any issues please write us at support@axcrypt.net

#30324 Reply

Roger

Hi,

I want to encrypt one file, automatically many of my files (not all) in other folders are encrypted. Impossible to decrypt all my files now…pls advice

#30327 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Roger,

Please check whether the folder is added to the secured folder or not. If yes, Please decrypt the folder first. After decrypting the folder, Please try it again.

If the above doesn’t help, please write an email to our support team support@axcrypt.net.

#30329 Reply

Roger

Hi,

Now I found out that all my previuos secured files (showing the secured Icon) open anyways with a double click, if I decryped a file the Icon disappear and showing again after encrypting but not securing the file. I changed a few weeks ago from windows 10 to windows 11.

#30336 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Roger,

We have responded to your support email. Please check your email.

“Please avoid sending a same query in different mediums. You may get the duplicate response”

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
Reply To: I can not decrypt
Your information: