Forums Help & support Incomplete video decrypted from axcrypt

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 6 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Extensis

Good Day!
    I am decypting a 2GB video when my computer suddenly shutdown.
    The result is an incomplete video file and a temp file.
    How can I recover the video which is very important using the temp file . I think part of it is in the temporary file.
    Please help. Thank You.

#9111 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Extensis,

What version of AxCrypt is that?

In any case, that should not happen. While decrypting – the original encrypted file should be untouched. Then the output should be flushed to disk, and finally the decrypted file will be partially wiped and then deleted.

Since you mention a temp file, that indicates that you’re using version 1 of AxCrypt which is no longer supported since quite some time.

Can you give more details about the files, sizes, dates, and names (at least the extensions, you can replace ‘your filename’ with something else).

Unfortunately, if a PC crashes at just the wrong time after a lot of disk writing, there’s always a slight risk of something going permanently wrong. This happens in extreme cases with all software, especially when the system is optimized for speed (which user PC’s typically are with write caching enabled for example).

#9113 Reply

Extensis

Good Day Sir.
    I’m using Version 2.1.1543.o
    I was decrypting when suddenly blue screen then I restarted PC then after restart.
    The original encypted file was gone.
    Video was decrypted but it can’t play the end part. only till mid part.
    Original file size is around 2GB but decrypted video is only 1.2GB and temp is 1Gb something.
    video file is in .mp4 format

#9176 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Extensis,

What must have happened is that the file was still in operating system cache memory when the computer bluescreened, so the data was never actually written to disk – but the encrypted file was removed, because AxCrypt was done with the process.

#9179 Reply

Extensis

Do you have any suggestions how can I fix it?

#9219 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Extensis,

Sorry – if the data was never written to disk, but was cached in memory when the PC crashed, it’s simply not there!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: Incomplete video decrypted from axcrypt
Your information: