Forums Bugs & issues Interference from multiple files of same-type (Windows)

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Paul 5 years, 2 months ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Paul

Open an encrypted notepad file, say File1.txt and make a change (or not).

Then open a 2nd un-encrypted notepad file File2.txt.

Then close File1.txt, saving changes.  File2.txt is still open.

Result:  File1.txt still shows as open, with the broom icon.  Closing Axcrypt displays “unable to encrypt File1.txt” message (even though file is closed).  On restarting Axcrypt, the changes were saved after all.

Closing File2.txt gets rid of the broom icon on File1.txt.

I tried this with MS Word 365 RTF files.  Same thing happened  I wouldn’t be surprised if it happens with all file types.

Axcrypt version: 2.1.1573.0 Premium

#12993 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Paul,

This is indeed so. It has to do with how applications works and how AxCrypt can determine if a file is “free” for re-encryption or not.

With Notepad, there’s no way to know what it has open so when a file is opened with Notepad AxCrypt waits until *all* instances of Notepad are closed. This is the same for many applications.

#12994 Reply

Paul

Hello Svante,

OK, I take your point about how the software works.

The problem is that the program’s behavior can cause confusion, and even alarm.  The first time this happened, I was (mildly) alarmed because Axcrypt had closed, even while the message left on the screen implied that the file remained unencrypted!   Then I had to reassure myself by reopening the encrypted file to ascertain that my changes had indeed been saved, and the file was encrypted.    This could be avoided by a more appropriate message, such as “A file may remain unencrypted if it is still open when you close Axcrypt, or if other files of the same type are still open,”  or some such message.   I hope you refer my comment to development.  Thanks.

Paul

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Interference from multiple files of same-type (Windows)
Your information: