Forums Community iOS app lacks Open in feature

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

albatros

Hi,

It looks like iOS app can’t send unknown file types to other apps after decryption. It should be done via “Open in”, but this feature is missing. So if AxCrypt can’t read the file then the file is unusable. Right?

If so, is there any plan (or ETA) to add it in the future?

#5883 Reply

albatros

@devs Can you please just tell if you know what I mean?

#5884 Reply

Alfred

I’m not a developer but I know what you mean.

I’m sure the developer will know how to implement this but the process for implementing this in iOS can be found in the programming instructions.

The AxCryp iOS app is still in its infancy. It can’t encrypt files yet and more features will be added when more people pay for Premium.

#5891 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hi albatros,

The intention is that the app should give you the choice of apps supporting the file in question. There does need to be an app, the “Open in” functionality only lists apps that support the file in question I think.

If you take the original file (or at least a file of the original type) and send it to your phone, what happens then when you try to open it?

#5898 Reply

albatros

Hi Svante,

It can be done ONLY IF AxCrypt can open the file itself. So if Axcrypt can’t open the file it can’t send through “Open in” to another app.

You can test yourself trying to open a Keepass db file. You’ll see Axcrypt not being capable to open it and no option to “Open in” something else. Normally other filemanager-like apps (i.e. DropBox, Documents by Readdle, iFiles etc.) can perfectly do that. More clear now?

#5899 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hi albatros,

The iOS environment is complicated. AxCrypt actually can’t open anything except AxCrypt-files. It then delegates to iOS to determine the appropriate application to open the decrypted file. This does require the app itself to register that it can open the file in question.

I’m not sure how Keepass does, perhaps it doesn’t register itself?

If you use a file manager to browse to the db file, does your phone offer to open it in the Keepass app? Exactly what Keepass iOS app are you using? We’ll try this out, but it would be nice to know what app you’re using as there seems to be several.

Speaking on the subject of Keepass, you might want to try our online password manager for the same purpose…

#5996 Reply

albatros

Please forget the Keepass example, it’s confusing. Now I’ll try my best :)

In short: if Axcrypt can’t open the file after decryption then it can’t send through “Open in” to another app.

EXAMPLES
    Good: Axcrypt can decrypt a .pdf, can open it, so can send it to “Adobe Acrobat Reader” app.
    Bad: Axcrypt can decrypt .odf, can’t open it, so can’t send it to “OOReader” app.

#5999 Reply

Kasper

In short: if Axcrypt can’t open the file after decryption then it can’t send through “Open in” to another app.

EXAMPLES
    Good: Axcrypt can decrypt a .pdf, can open it, so can send it to “Adobe Acrobat Reader” app.
    Bad: Axcrypt can decrypt .odf, can’t open it, so can’t send it to “OOReader” app.

If you can open a PDF file using AxCrypt then the problem is with OOReader.

When you use ‘Open In’ feature you’ll be given a number of options, e.g. what program to use. There are two rows in iOS. If you scroll to the end of each you see a “… More” button. Click it, find OOReader, toggle the switch to green and then press ‘Done’. Remember to repeat this for the second row of icons.

Svante correctly said:

This does require the app itself to register that it can open the file in question

If OOReader doesn’t register itself with iOS then AxCrypt can’t use it.

To test where the problem is, email yourself with an ODT file. When you receive the email, try to open the attachment. If you can’t then that means OOReader isn’t registered in iOS. If you can open the file (using ‘Open In’), please post back on here.

#6072 Reply

albatros

Kasper, I know what you mean but my point is different.

The problem is (sorry for repetition): if Axcrypt can’t open the file (I mean can’t show the content) after decryption then it can’t send through “Open in” to another registered app.

Relating to my example: Axcrypt can decrypt .odf, can’t open it, so can’t send it to “OOReader” app.

And yes, OOReader is a registered app, so you can “Open In” OOReader from any Document Provider like Documents 5. You can simply try it out in 5 minutes.

#6074 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hi Albatros,

If you send an email to support att axcrypt dott net I can setup you up as an external beta tester via TestFlight for the iOS app. We’re just waiting for approval from Apple, should be any day. It does adress some “can’t open” issues. Can’t say if yours is one of them, but let’s see.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: iOS app lacks Open in feature
Your information: