Forums Bugs & issues Issue with renaming of crypted files

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Alex 5 years, 1 month ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Alex

Hi

After renaming  a crypted file and uncrypting it, I would have expected that the uncrypted file has changed name accordingly, but is not the case. The file has kept its original name.

My version of Axcrypt is 2.1.1573.0

Thanks

#12849 Reply

Azhaguraja B
    Keymaster

Hello Alex,

Using the Anonymous Rename menu option(File| Anonymous Rename) in the AxCrypt app, We can rename the AxCrypt secured files into some random numbers.

AxCrypt will restore(rename back) the original file name(s) when decrypting the anonymous renamed encrypted files. This is a way AxCrypt was developed.

Please note: AxCrypt will not allow unencrypted files to do Anonymous Rename.

#12853 Reply

Anonymous

Hi Azhaguraja,

Thank you for your answer related to Anonymous renamed files.

The issue I am facing is different. Let me describe it in a more precise way :

– I manage my files using Windows Explorer.

– In a crypted folder, I want to permanently change the name of a crypted file by right clicking it and selecting “Rename”

– The crypted file now has its new name, which also appears in its File Properties.

– When I later decrypt the file, this new name I chose is unfortunately replaced by the previous one that I wanted modified.

Thanks for your help

#12854 Reply

Azhaguraja B
    Keymaster

Hello Anonymous/Alex,

When you decrypt the anonymous renamed encrypted file, AxCrypt will decrypt and rename it back to the original name/state.

If the file in fact is located in a folder designated as “Secured”, it will soon be re-encrypted again since those folders are monitored for unencrypted files and will encrypt them when you sign out, or click the “Broom” clean up icon.

Also the decrypted file in the secured folder will be re-encrypted by clicking the broom icon or sign out from the AxCrypt app.

This is the scenario you are facing. AxCrypt can rename AxCrypt encrypted files only.

#12991 Reply

Alex

Hi,

For an anonymous renamed encrypted file, I understand the importance of AxCrypt renaming it back to the original name when it decrypts it.

For an encrypted file that has intentionally been given a new name by its owner via Windows File Explorer, Axcrypt should however not rename the file to its original undesired name.

Thanks for remedying that in some future

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Issue with renaming of crypted files
Your information: