Forums Bugs & issues Lack of command line invocation in AxCrypt 2?

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 5 years, 3 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Bob Coleman

I don’t think this is a bug, but it may be an issue for me.

In AxCrypt 1, I could run the following commands in batch files, scripts, etc.

%ProgramFiles%\Axantum\AxCrypt\axcrypt -d EncryptedFile

to decrypt the file or

%ProgramFiles%\Axantum\AxCrypt\axcrypt -z UnEncryptedFile

to encrypt the file.

Absence of this feature, if it is absent, will keep me using AxCrypt 1 for the forseeable future.

Why would I want to use the above illustrated commands, you might ask.

As an example, I have a Quicken data file qdata.qdf stored as qdata-qdf.axx as well as an associated log file qdataOFXLOG.DAT stored as qdataOFXLOG-DAT.axx.

Today (AxCrypt 1), I run a script which uses the commands illustrated above to decrypt the data file and log file, run Quicken and then encrypt the two files.

With AxCrypt 2, as far as I have discovered, I don’t have the decrypting or encrypting command.  I don’t want to have to explicitly  decrypt the two files via context menu before running Quicken and then explicitly encrypt them after running Quicken.

Actually, in this particular case, I may be able to invoke the Quicken data file which may cause running of Quicken and writing back the encrypted data file, but without interacting with the log file (encrypted, or not) which I don’t yet understand, but which may not actually be a serious problem.

I have to think about whether I have any other existing cases where I would consider the absence of the command line invocations to be a serious problem.

#5534 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hi Bob,

You’re right. We don’t have a command line client just yet. We will in the forseeable future, but it’ll likely be later this year.

#5546 Reply

Bob Coleman

OK, thanks.  Glad to know that it will be coming.  I’ll probably just stick with V1 in the meantime, but will be watching for the command line support.

#7916 Reply

Anonymous

Since I haven’t yet seen command line support yet, I’m still using Version 1.

While I’m not sure if I’d subscribe to Premium for a bunch of features I probably wouldn’t use, I’d happily make a one time donation if command line support were added.

#7917 Reply

Anonymous

(Sorry, reposting this because I have no desire to be anonymous).

While I’m not sure if I’d subscribe to Premium for a bunch of features I probably wouldn’t use, I’d happily make a one time donation if command line support were added.

#7918 Reply

Bob Coleman

(Sorry, reposting this because I have no desire to be anonymous).

#7919 Reply

Fred

Bob, you’ve not seen it because it’s not been added yet. AxCrypt don’t have the resources to implement exotic features as a matter of priority. The main development effort is primarily in making the software stable, fixing any bugs and adding features requested by the majority. Hardly anybody wants command line integration so it’s very low on their priority list (judging by other posts on this forum).

If you were to make a large one-off donation (to fully cover the cost of developing/testing the feature) then they may be able to prioritise development of that feature, naturally you’d want to ask them first before committing funds.

The software is open source and you are welcome to add the feature yourself if you need it, otherwise I’m afraid there’s no definite date on implementation.

#7921 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Thank you Fred!

That’s about how it is. We’ll get there, but not immediately. Or, someone from the community pitches in. The source is after all open and available.

#12409 Reply

Jim Huff

I too use the command line in a lot of scripts to automate encrypting and decrypting. If V2 ever has command line, I’d move to it but in the meantime, I’ll have to stick with 1.x

#12411 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Jim,

I fully understand that. We will make a command line, and some work along those lines have in fact already been completed (we have an in-house command line client that encrypts files and uploads them to Amazon S3 storage).

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Lack of command line invocation in AxCrypt 2?
Your information: