Forums Help & support losing file updates

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

SC

I’m not massively computer literate but I encrypt files that contain sensitive information.  I have noticed, twice, that Excel files I have saved under a new name and then encrypted have lost their recent changes.  It seems to happen just when I’m finishing off for the night, I save the file and often save a copy of the file.  It’s a file which has been encrypted in the past and I then re-encrypt.  On opening again afterwards my most recent work is lost.  It’s not in Excel’s unsaved cdocumnets repository and most recently the updated version hasn;t been in the Axcrypt appdata/local/axcrypt, though interestingly, the first time this happened, that ios where I was able to recover my complete saved file from.  I’m really sorry but I cannot be much more specific than that. I use excel 360 and windows and I am using the windows/dropbox interface in order to keep my encrypted files on dropbox.  What should I nopt be doing or is the above all too vague?  I’d very much like this not to happen to me again!

#8153 Reply

Svante
    Keymaster

Hello,

I can’t be 100% sure about what your user name is, but I’m guessing it’s something like “so*******ld@gmail.com”. If this is correct, you may want to start by updating AxCrypt to the most recent version from https://www.axcrypt.net/ .

Regardless, you should be aware that saving under a new name from withing Excel can indeed lose you the changes made, since we don’t do anything with files saved under a different name. If you save it in a different location, we have no idea about that either – we literally can’t see what you save where from Excel, except in theory if it’s to one of the folders monitored by AxCrypt.

If you want to save a copy, ensure you do so in a place you know where it is, and also that you subsequently encrypt it, or save it to a secured folder location where AxCrypt will see that it needs encryption and will do so when you exit or you click the red ‘clean’ broom icon.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: losing file updates
Your information: