Forums Help & support must I use a signin

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Marvin

I would prefer to only supply the file encryption pass phrase, instead of using multiple passwords.  I see no value to me to force a login to axcrypt to only encrypt a few files

#7797 Reply

Euan

I don’t understand what you’re saying.

AxCrypt 2 doesn’t use multiple passwords.

Are you saying that you only want to provide your password to decrypt?

It’s not currently possible to encrypt without providing your password at least once per session although it is a suggestion to allow encryption without logging into AxCrypt.

#7799 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Marvin,

As Euan says – we only use a single password. The value in “force a login to axcrypt to only encrypt a few files” is, among other things:

1. We can strongly verify that you are entering the password you think you are entering, reducing the risk of dataloss due to a typo when you encrypt new files.
    2. We can keep the password around for the duration of the sign in session, making encryption and encryption – even of a few files, a much more convenient task.
    3. We can verify your account status, i.e. subscription plan (Free vs. Premium etc).
    4. We can synchronize your key pair with the local device and the server, making such things as global password change possible.
    5. Although we log very little, the little we do log often helps us understand why users are experiencing problems which thus allows us to provide more effective support.

There are other benefits as well, but these are some. For information about what we log, what we have on the servers and how everything works, check out the privacy policy, security information and technical information at https://forum.axcrypt.net/ .

#7820 Reply

Marvin

I am an old time but infrequent user of AxCrypt. I loved the way it worked when if I tried to open an encrypted file I would be required to enter the file password. I thought it must be time to upgrade, not knowing I would be forced to login to AxCrypt each time I needed to access my file. Well, that screwed up my access to the encrypted file. I was able to download the Decrypt program and un-encrypt the file.

In any case when I installed the AxCrypt version 2 I was asked to create a password. I did. (lets say it was zxzxzxzxzx, a password that is not easy to remember) that is not my old encryption code. That code zxzxzxzxzx is now required to unencrypt my file since I must sign in to AxCrypt.  I much preferred one code to encrypt and not be required to sign in.  I even changed my AxCrypt.net password to my preferred encrypt code and that allows me to sign in online, but I still must use the zxzxzxzxzx on my PC to then access my encrypted file.

How can I get back to a single code of my choice?

#7821 Reply

Leonard

How can I get back to a single code of my choice?

Download the old, unsupported, non-maintained AxCrypt version 1.7.

It’s not a “single code” but it does allow you multiple passwords of your choice.

#7822 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Marvin,

There’s something not quite right with your description of events. The typical sequence of events are identical, but named differently. There’s no difference really between AxCrypt 1 “asking for a password to open the file” and AxCrypt 2 “requiring you to sign in to open the file”. In fact, I believe the keystrokes are exactly the same!

AxCrypt 1:

1. Double click the file.
    2. AxCrypt pops up a dialog asking for the password.
    3. Enter the password, hit “OK”.
    4. The file opens.

AxCrypt 2:

1. Double click the file.
    2. AxCrypt pops up a dialog asking you to sign in.
    3. Enter the password, hit “OK”.
    4. The file opens.

The one scenario where you’d be asked for a password twice, is if you’re opening a file encrypted with a different password than your sign in password, encrypted with AxCrypt 1 or with AxCrypt 2 by another user or yourself, but with a password *reset* (not *change*) between. In the case of an AxCrypt 1 file, it’s a one-time thing since we’ll upgrade the file to AxCrypt 2 and use the sign in password. So next time it’ll work as usual.

I’m guessing that “I even changed my AxCrypt.net password to my preferred encrypt code and that allows me to sign in online” is not quite correct. Our logs show a password *reset* on September 7, which would explain the “but I still must use the zxzxzxzxzx on my PC to then access my encrypted file“. If this is the case, of course you must! A simple password reset, which only requires access to your email inbox to succeed cannot restore access to previously encrypted files!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
Reply To: must I use a signin
Your information: