Forums Bugs & issues Not accepting password, even resetted from website, still no

This topic contains 11 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Reg 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author

Jeff

It keeps saying wrong password even though I’m able to log in here with same password. I even changed it ones to avoid any possibility of me having forgotten something, but that is not the case

Please help, I should’ve tested on some other file, I used it on file that has some really important info for me which I need daily

#8285 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

I am sorry to hear this.

If you do not remember the password to your account, you can always reset it. This is not a way to recover encrypted files! It’s only to allow you to sign in to the AxCrypt app and web. The new password will be used to encrypt new files. Go to https://account.axcrypt.net/Home/PasswordReset to do this, or you can also go there from AxCrypt with File | Options | Password Reset .

Unfortunately, if you do not know the password for an AxCrypt-encrypted file you cannot open it, even if you can sign in to the account. This is by design, it’s just this situation that AxCrypt is made for and it works like this even if you actually are the original owner of the file.

If you think you almost know the password, we have a simple software allowing you to try to find your password, and you can download the most recent version from https://account.axcrypt.net/Download/AxBruteForce.exe and read of how to use it at https://forum.axcrypt.net/axcrypt-brute-force/ . Please note that we cannot provide support beyond this.

Please check the FAQ at https://forum.axcrypt.net/support/faq/ for more information.

Remember: Do not forget your password, or you will lose your encrypted file and always keep a backup of all your important files, encrypted or not.

#8286 Reply

Anonymous

I don’t think any software should be designed to not allow access even if entered the “correct password”. Password entered is correct, software doesn’t recognize it. I do not have separate password for file, it is for software and file is added to it.

I’ve already tried the change password thing and still software does not allow me access to its window.

You’re completely misunderstanding the issue here. It is AxCrypt ID sign in where I’m failing. AND YES, even after trying password reset through link you provided

#8287 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Jeff,

I can’t be sure of course, but I don’t think I’m misunderstanding.

It’s a fundamental, and vital, property of encryption that without the key (password) the data cannot be retrieved and the password cannot be reset.

There are two entirely different mechanisms at work here, both using a password.

1) Sign in to the service, this is a case of authentication. The server will programmatically allow access if it determines the password is correct. A password reset is easy to implement here, it’s just about re-instructing the server in a trusted way just what the correct password is.

2) Encrypting data using a password derived encryption key. Here the password is used to derive an encryption key, which is used in a mathematical algorithm to transform (encrypt) your data using the key as the secret parameter. There is no server granting or denying access here. It’s just that either you have the right key or you don’t. You can’t perform a password reset. You can perform a pasword change, which will imply that somewhere something is first derypted using the old known key, and then encrypted again using the new.

There’s a longer discussion here: https://forum.axcrypt.net/blog/encryption-vs-authentication/ about the distinction.

From your description of the situation, it sounds like you can sign in to AxCrypt just fine, but when you try to open a file, you’re getting a dialog stating that you need to provide the file password.

If this is wrong, and I am in fact misunderstanding – please provide screen shots of where you’re stumped, and / or contact our support so we can look at your particular account.

#8288 Reply

Anonymous

FYI, I’m entering the same password here as I’ve reset using your link

#8289 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Jeff!

Thanks for the screenshot. That helps a lot!

If you look at the title bar, it says [Offline]. This means that while you have changed the password on the server, you’re not allowing or having access to the server from the application, so it can’t update it’s notion of the reset password!

Please ensure that you have Internet access (at least once after the reset), and that you allow the application to access our server. How could it otherwise know that something has happened there?

#8290 Reply

Anonymous

Got it!

So there was misunderstanding indeed, partly my fault as well as I should’ve provided picture rather than words. Someone grt ones said that “picture speaks million words”

I’ll apologize for that.

Nvm, thanks for help. Keep up the good work in developing such a nice software.

Though, I do have another question, option to right click and encrypt files is not available in this version? Is it only for paid version?

#8291 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Jeff!

Happy to hear it. Sorry for the misunderstanding on my part ;-) Screen shots are really great…

Right-click and encrypt is indeed available on Windows for the free version as well… It does require you do use the installer, not the stand-alone version though. That’s actually pretty much the difference between the stand alone and the installer, and what the installer does.

#8292 Reply

Anonymous

Understood!

Thanks for help, I did indeed use standalone thing.

Thanks again for quick replies.

#8293 Reply

Reg

Jeff, I think you need to take heed of the warning that AxCrypt is encryption software and that if you forget your password you will lose access to your files.

Ask yourself if encryption software is the right thing for you.

If you just want to password protect your files, without encryption, upload them to Dropbox, Google Drive or OneDrive. With those services if you forget your password you can reset your password and regain access (so can their staff). With AxCrypt your files will be lost forever (and nobody can regain access) if you forget your password.

You also need backups:

“I used it on file that has some really important info for me which I need daily”

Whether your files or encrypted or not, you need backups.

#8294 Reply

Anonymous

Yes, I learned from this experience. I’ll not get into why encryption is needed for me but I’ve taken backups now, which are stored offline.

#8295 Reply

Reg

If you need encryption (so nobody else can see your files) then it’d undermine AxCrypt if they allowed a backdoor into their software.

Security is binary:

• you either have it (AxCrypt encryption);
    • or you don’t (non-encryption)

There’s no third option. There’s no ‘good guys only’ access method despite what you may hear in the media from law enforcement officials.

For some people the risk of losing access to their files is better than an unauthorised person gaining access to their files.

Anybody else reading, take note: do not forget an encryption password.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
Reply To: Not accepting password, even resetted from website, still no
Your information: