Forums Help & support not functioning correctly

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Prabhukumar R 1 week, 3 days ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Jim Kersey

I got this message and I don’t what to do to correct it:

Double-Click to open AxCrypt Files outside of AxCrypt may not function correctly. The operation system file association for extension “.axx” appears to be broken.

How do I fix it?

#16076 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Jim Kersey,

“Please avoid sending a same query in different mediums. You may get duplicate response.”

AxCrypt encrypted files should have a file extension “.axx”. Also, default application for the file type “.axx” should be AxCrypt app only.

If the AxCrypt app is not configured as a default app for the file extension or no other apps are mapped to the file extension, then you will be alerted with a warning dialog that states “Double-click to open AxCrypt files outside of AxCrypt may not function correctly. The operating system file association for extension ".axx" appears to be broken. Contact your IT support  or search for a solution on the Internet..” when you start the AxCrypt app.

Might be, the default application is not mapped for the file extension “.axx” in your system. So please change the default application to AxCrypt for the file extension for “.axx” with the help of following links,

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4028161/windows-10-change-default-programs or https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/18539/windows-7-change-default-programs

Now all the encrypted files with the file extension ‘.axx’ will be opened by double-clicking the file. Restart the system/AxCrypt app, if required.

Still, if you are facing any issues, please write to Support@axcrypt.net. we are happy to help you.

#17456 Reply

k

what is the file passwd

#17462 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello K,

AxCrypt will use the AxCrypt account password to encrypt/decrypt the files. The account password is used/involved to encrypt the files with the AxCrypt app.

AxCrypt 2 now use a single sign on model where the same password is used to sign in to our servers and to protect your files.

AxCrypt will allow the users to decrypt the encrypted file with the original password which is used for encryption.

Still, if you are facing any issues, please write to Support@axcrypt.net. we are happy to help you.

#33749 Reply

Desi

What do you do if you followed the instructions but Axcrypt does not come up in the list for that extension. It is installed and working but does not show up in settings.

#33756 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Desi,

We have responded to your question via our support email. I would request you to please check your email.

“Please avoid sending the same query in different mediums. You may get the duplicate response”

#34694 Reply

Dennis

I have Encrypted a folder of client files.  I want to back them up decrypted and I highlight the folder, go to Axcrypt and select decrypt temporarily and it doesn’t decrypt them.  It gives me a warning message that one of the first files (with an .axx extension) is not an axx file.  I need to decrypt all the client files for the backup.  What am I doing wrong?

#34698 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Dennis,

The error message indicates that the file simply is not an AxCrypt file – it checks the first 16 bytes for a unique value.

Most often, this error occurs because the file is not produced by AxCrypt, but rather a different kind of file accidentally renamed to end with .axx. Another scenario is that it is a left-over after a previous decryption was interrupted at the stage where the original is overwritten.

If you mistakenly rename non-AxCrypt files to end with .axx, in which case renaming back to its appropriate extension will fix the issue since the file was never encrypted in the first place in this scenario.

Still, you are not able to decrypt the file, AxCrypt provides a feature called Try Broken File. You can decrypt the corrupted AxCrypt encrypted files by navigating the menu File | Options | enable Debug from the AxCrypt app.

Now you could see the Debug the menu in the AxCrypt app. From the debug menu choose Try Broken File.

Then you will be prompted for file selection. Select the corrupted encrypted file and then AxCrypt will try to decrypt the file. If successfully decrypted, then you can see the decrypted file in the file location.

Unfortunately, If the file is actually damaged to this extent, sorry to say, no, it can’t be fixed. The data is just not there to decrypt it.

Still, you are facing any issue, please provide detailed information about the issue and write a mail to support@axcrypt.net. We are happy to help you.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: not functioning correctly
Your information: