Forums Bugs & issues Old icon stays on desktop

This topic contains 8 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 7 years ago.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Richard

Just uploaded new Axcrypt version. I encrypted an Excel file, and that worked and encrypted icon appeared. But old icon stayed – and is now an empty (I hope!) orphan. I cannot get rid of the old icon.

#5758 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Richard,

Please take a screen shot of the situation.

How to take a screen shot is explained here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/13776/windows-use-snipping-tool-to-capture-screenshots .

#5761 Reply

Andrew

Even easier: press and hold the Windows key first, then click PrtSc.

The resulting screenshot will be stored in ‘This PC\Pictures\Screenshot\Screenshot (#).png’

#5778 Reply

Richard

Hi Andrew,

I was able to get rid of the ghost icon only by restarting. I have used axcrypt successfully since, with existing encrypted files, but was able to recreate the problem by generating a test excel file, and encrypting it. The result is an encrypted file icon, as expected, and a normal-looking icon of the original excel file – but that icon cannot be opened (or deleted). I have screenshots of this, and will try to send them to you, but am not sure how – my first try (trying to copy them into a message like this) did not work. And lost the message. So I will send this, and then try again with the screenshots.

Richard

#5779 Reply

Richard

#5780 Reply

Richard

Hi again,

The ghost icon did ultimately go away, while I was sending you messages (time of 10’s of minutes). So I decrypted the “test” excel file – and now I have a valid excel file icon, AND a ghost AxCrypt icon. When I try to open that one axcrypt tells me that the file I just double-clicked on  does not exist. But it is still there – I just checked again.

I have a lot of very important (to me) AxCrypt files. Are they at risk with this new version? Should I try to go back to the older version?

Richard

#5781 Reply

Simon

Try pressing F5 to refresh your desktop. This behaviour sounds familiar: Windows 10 doesn’t refresh as frequently as Windows 7 did. Your files are not at risk.

#5782 Reply

Richard

Hi Simon,

You are right – F5 does it. Windows 10 must refresh very rarely. I never saw this before, and I have used AxCrypt for a long time, so I bet it would be worth looking in to some more. But I am reassured!  Thanks!

Richard

#5786 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Thanks Simon!

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
Reply To: Old icon stays on desktop
Your information: