Forums Help & support Password Question

This topic contains 22 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  AxUser705 6 years, 6 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Author

Svante
    Spectator

(Note to all reading this: Please do not add your question to an existing thread! Create a new one, even if your question is related to the question in this or some other thread).

Hello Paulo,

Yes, you always need a password to open an encrypted file, however AxCrypt does remember the password while you’re still signed in.

In order to share encrypted documents with others, you need the Premium subscription. But any files encrypted with Premium can be opened with AxCrypt Free (if you know the password).

#3981 Reply

Paulo

Dear Svante

Thank you for your clarification.

If I understand, this mean that with the free version I just can decrypt, right.

Best

#3982 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Paulo,

No, you can do encrypt with the Free version, but it’ll use AES-128 instead of AES-256, and you cannot add recipients via the key sharing feature.

#3983 Reply

Paulo Alves

Dear Svante

If I understand after 30 days  become automatically AES-128 encryption.

How can I use the AES-128 for encrypt ?

Can you send me the steps how to do it.

Best Regards

#3984 Reply

Imran

Dear Svante, Thanks for your reply.

Let me clear my problem and the question:

I installed AxCrypt around 20th July, and encrypted few of my important files. I have tried to open and encrypted few times and it was working.

I remember that I set a password that I uses commonly, but Unfortunately, when I tried to open these files after a gap of one month, the password is not working.

I need to understand that how I can retrieve or access/ open my files? Is any way to recover my password applied to these files, or is there any method to reset the password?

Otherwise, is it possible to decrypt the files upon sharing with some colleague through sharing the User Public Key.  I have found AxCrypt UserPublicKey file in a folder that has Public Keys. Can I use this Public Key on colleague computer to open my files, if AxCrypt is also installed on his Computer?

#3986 Reply

Imran

>Can you sign in to your account at https://account.axcrypt.net/ ?

In reply to your above query, the answer is No, my Password is not working or I have forgot. I have not yet attempted to Reset the Password.

#3987 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Imran,

It appears as you in fact have forgotten your password, since it’s the same password when signing in to https://account.axcrypt.net/ and AxCrypt 2 (when it’s online).

Please read the FAQ concerning lost passwords.

#7623 Reply

AxUser705

“Let me now just give you the “why” in why I’m not supporting the protection of individual files with individual passwords. It’s because there is no good reason, from a security point of view. In fact, at best it doesn’t make it worse, but in most cases it will. It’s much better security to use one, strong password for all files.”

True, based on the way it would ideally be used, but in my case I send random private data to relatives via email, and some of them are computer illiterate to the point where they actively resist anything that seems “complicated” no matter how simply I try to describe it.

I send them emails with a known base password (never mentioned in email) and sometimes change it up by appending extra characters, with hints in email about those extra characters. This has worked well, but it’s mainly a limitation of their fear and low computer literacy. Many older people are so mistrusting of computers (and generally forgetful) that you can only get them to do one thing, one way, after years of trying. I installed the old version of AcCrypt on their machines and they are still barely aware of what it is, thinking it came with Windows, even.

As a programmer you are operating at a higher mental capacity and may not see how people could be that simplistic!

Viewing 8 posts - 16 through 23 (of 23 total)
Reply To: Password Question
Your information: