Forums Help & support Please guide me through the process

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 5 years ago.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author

Daniel

So right now i have files encrypted on my PC with AXcrypt

I would like to move these files to a USB stick and Encrypt them there and only use the PC to Decrypt when needed

I also want to make sure that no traces of the files are left on my PC after the transfer

I am only using the Free version of Axcrypt so there may be limitations in what i can achieve

What are the steps for moving the files from PC to the USB stick

Many thanks

Daniel

#13431 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Daniel,

An AxCrypt-encrypted file is just a file, nothing else. Just copy them to the USB stick and delete them appropriately from the PC after verifying that all was successfully copied, like would with any file you want to move from one media to another.

Ensuring that “no traces” remain afterwards, requires more tools than AxCrypt. While AxCrypt Premium can wipe the files so they are not recoverable by any regular utility, “no traces” requires more and may in fact be hard to achieve. So it depends on what you really mean with “no traces”.

In general, since they are encrypted, simply deleting them and emptying the wastebasket will take you a long way towards removing most traces, however for example parts of the file name may remain in the file system, and of course the encrypted data – but it’s encrypted so it’s worthless unless the password is known.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
Reply To: Please guide me through the process
Your information: