Forums Bugs & issues Previously encrypted files won't open after AxCrypt premium trial

This topic contains 4 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 3 months ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Peter Razenberg

I have some old files that I have encrypted with both a key file and a password. Encrypting and decrypting new files works fine. I still have the key file and I also know any password I ever used for the old files but when I get prompted to enter a password for the old files I am never offered the option to use my key file. So whatever I type I cannot get access to my old encrypted files. I hope someone has an idea how can resolve this as my premium trial period has expired and I am not entitled to official support. Getting support on this issue by purchasing a premium account just not feel right although I am getting desperate enough to give that a try as well.

#11042 Reply

Svante
    Keymaster

Hello Peter,

When you try to open an “old” AxCrypt 1.x file with AxCrypt 2, and it is encrypted with a different password than your AxCrypt ID password that you used to sign in to AxCrypt 2, you will be prompted for a password.

Although of course we’d like you to get Premium, we don’t want you to feel forced to do so. We do provide support for free users as well, just not as quickly sometimes.

The password prompt should look like this, and then you click “More…”:

Then it looks like this, and you select the keyfile:

And finally after selecting keyfile and entering the passphrase click Ok:

#11051 Reply

Peter Razenberg

Thanks for the response. I do have the ‘more’ option when I try to open one of these files.¬†Could this perhaps mean that I never used a key file for these documents and as result it does not show? I am starting to wonder if I perhaps just used a password. I am currently using version 2.1.1560.0.

capture

#11052 Reply

Peter Razenberg

Sorry I meant to say; I do not have the ‘more’ option.

#11065 Reply

Svante
    Keymaster

Hello Peter,

This means the file in question was *NOT* encrypted with AxCrypt 1.x, and thus *can’t* be using a key file, since version 2 does not use them (except as explained above to open legacy encrypted files).

So here it’s just a question of knowing the password used…

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
Reply To: Previously encrypted files won't open after AxCrypt premium trial
Your information: