Forums Help & support Recent Files list is empty

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mike 6 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Mike

Hello–

I hope someone can help me.  I went to use AxCrypt this morning, and my Recent Files list was empty.  I have v2.1.1547 installed on Windows 10 Home v1709 (16299.334).

I’m not sure if this is an issue with AxCrypt itself, or perhaps my most recent use of CCleaner on my system deleted it somehow.

My Recent Files list has been populated since I first installed AxCrypt on this system over a year ago.  I’ve run CCleaner on my system weekly that entire time, yet the list remained.

However, within the past week, I did start using CCEnhancer on top of CCleaner, which allows for cleaning of additional apps/files.  But there is no item in CCleaner (even with CCEnhancer used) labeled “AxCrypt.”

So I’m thinking this is either an issue with AxCrypt itself, or perhaps one of the other listed options in CCleaner with CCEnhancer is picking up AxCrypt and cleaning it.

If it’s the second possibility, I’d like to turn it off so my Recent Files list remains in AxCrypt.

Has anyone experienced the same issue without CCleaner?  If not, any idea which option in CCleaner with CCEnhancer might be the culprit?

Thanks,

Mike

#10177 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Mike,

The recent files list is stored in a regular text file in the folder %localappdata%\AxCrypt . You can always check if it’s still there, it’s named FileSystemState.txt, and you can open it with Notepad or any other text editor to inspect it.

Not sure, but possibly, if you *reset* your Windows password, or re-install Windows, it might become empty. We encrypt the clear text file names in the recent files list locally using a Windows encryption facility that is tied to the Windows login account.

#10178 Reply

Mike

I did just this past week switch my Windows account from a local account to a Microsoft account.  So that’s probably why the list reset.  So it seems it has nothing to do with CCleaner.

Thanks so much for the reply and for clearing this up!

Mike

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Recent Files list is empty
Your information: