Forums Help & support Remove Encryption from Truecrypt?

This topic contains 5 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  patriciadbab 6 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

CathyRoberson

My husband is looking to remove “TrueCrypt” encryption after using it for what he needed it for. He tried to follow the process on the website but had two problems. Two drives encrypted (1.4tb and 0.5tb) and they are encrypted with AES.

1) Move all files from the TrueCrypt volume to any location outside the TrueCrypt volume. Because he is using a full 1.4 TB drive, couldn’t move it anywhere.

2) Got the error “The system partition/drive does not appear to be encrypted (neither partially nor fully). He mounted the drives and tried to use system > Pertinently decrypt system partition/ drive.

We just want to get this off and need some help.

Svante
    Spectator

Hello!

We’re actually providing another software than TrueCrypt / VeraCrypt. Our software is AxCrypt, which works very differently but complements TrueCrypt.

We can’t provide support on others’ software. For what it’s worth, your strategy is likely to be to copy the files from the encrypted container/drive to a non-encrypted drive. You’ll need to provide new free space equivalent to the total amount of files in the encrypted drives to get the files out of there.

CathyRoberson

Okay, thank you for answering.

Jack Ponting

Hello Cathy,

I hope you are doing well, here I am sharing few steps will may be helpful to you to solve your problem. However TrueCrypt is not safe to use as the support of Windows XP has been dismissed by the Microsoft and it contains undefined security issues according to one of my colleague’s experience who is providing help with my dissertation UK to needy students.
    1.Open TrueCrypt
    2. Right click on the partition you want decrypted.
    3. In the right click menu, select Permanently Decrypt.
    4. Then, You are may be asked whether you want to permanently decrypt the selected partition/drive. Just Press Yes.

Have you followed mentioned step before posting here?

• This reply was modified 7 years, 2 months ago by  Svante.

Zak

You’re sort of right Jack Ponting but TrueCrypt’s publicly stated reason for discontinuing the project was that newer versions of Microsoft Windows have full support for encrypted disks and virtual disk images.

TrueCrypt is still very secure for most users and after it was discontinued there was an independent report commissioned which found that whilst TrueCrypt has some minor issues they’re not serious enough to merit stopping using the software. Just because it’s no longer developed doesn’t make it secure although you should look at moving to something still being updated.

There is a new project called VeraCrypt which is free and open source plus the developer has implemented the recommendations from the independent report to make the software more secure.

However if you’re using Windows I’d recommend sticking to BitLocker for full disk encryption simply because it is very tightly integrated into the operating system and doesn’t suffer from the problems that third-party encryption have. But you need Windows Professional, Education or Enterprise in order to use BitLocker so you’d have to pay for an upgrade if you’re a Home User.

The added benefit of BitLocker is that it’s fully supported by Microsoft and you know it’s going to work providing your system meets the minimum requirements. It offers protection against DMA attacks, supports UEFI, supports secure hibernation and locks down your system. Third-party full disk encryption can never be as comprehensive as that which is included as part of the OS.

If you’re using full disk encryption you still need file-level encryption if you want to share your files securely with people or upload them to a cloud service. This is what AxCrypt is for.

Zak

Correction to my above:

“Just because it’s no longer developed doesn’t make it insecure although you should look at moving to something still being updated.”

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Remove Encryption from Truecrypt?’ is closed to new replies.