Forums Community Require Password

This topic contains 6 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Dave 3 years, 11 months ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Caleb

Is there a way that can make Axcrypt require a password every single time you try and open an encrypted file?

If not you should think about adding that in for people (like myself) who don’t always remember to log out when closing an app.

#4011 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Caleb!

Thank you for your input. At this time we don’t support that option, but we may in the future – by popular demand, although our opinion remains that it generally tends to decrease security rather than increase it.

See http://www.axcrypt.net/blog/leaving-computer-axcrypt/ for the related discussion of why we think so.

Very briefly – if you leave your computer unattended, even with AxCrypt closed and signed out, all bets are off anyway. You should never trust a computer that someone has had access to with the same permission as yourself. It may happen because you leave it with Windows signed in, or because you are the victim of malware or an exploit that potentially gives the attacker the same permissions. In either case, the result is the same – a possibly compromised system that should be restored from original media.

#15430 Reply

TL Zimmerman

please set up a way to require a password every time a file is opened.

#15431 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello TL Zimmerman,

AxCrypt 2 works just like your email software or most other password-protected systems. You sign in once and remain signed in until signed out. Just like you can read many emails without entering the password every time, AxCrypt will do the same. The files are still encrypted, but your password is remembered until you sign out of AxCrypt.

AxCrypt stays signed in until signed out, just like most similar applications such as your email. Once signed in, you can read, write and update information without having to re-enter the password, until signed out. This is by design.

We are discussing it with our team also We are considering and implement the features in the future.

#15521 Reply

Carl

Please explain, except for my Axcrypt login online, I only enter my password when I try to open an encrypted file. When I am finished with the file, I just close it. Where do I sign in and out of Axcrypt?

#15540 Reply

Prabhukumar R

Hello Carl,

You can sign in and sign out from the Axcrypt app in the below way.

File|sign in – now enter the AxCrypt credentials , then start the AxCrypt app.

File|signout or Exit from the Axcrypt app.

Please note: AxCrypt 2.x use a single sign on model where the same password is used to sign in to our servers and to protect your files.

If the above does not help, please provide more information about the issue.

Still,if you are asking any Query/issues, please provide more information about the issue and write a mail to support@axcrypt.net.

#15928 Reply

Dave

The only way I know how to get axcrypt to prompt me for a password every time i access a file  is either pay for premium and specify the shortest time table before it auto signs you out or to manually sign out as soon as i’m done viewing/updating an encrypted file. since i’m cheap and dont pay for premium, i manually log in and out every time i access any encrypted file.

This is of course where some people believe if someone has a data logger installed(unbeknown to the user) then by repeatedly typing in your password overtime, they will have your password. For this i keep most of my files on a usb stick where it lives in my pocket until i need to access a file on it. So my paranoid logic is in the event they get my password, they would need to wait until i use my usb drive to get access to my encrypted files. I also tend to only use said usb drive when using a paid vpn as well. not sure if it helps but makes me feel a little better

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
Reply To: Require Password
Your information: