Forums Help & support Self-decrypter file encrypted on 1.7, cannot decrypt on Windows 10

This topic contains 9 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 6 years, 4 months ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Amy

The file is exe. When I try to run it, I get a message “This app can’t run on your PC”. I downloaded AxCrypt but it cannot open the file because it is exe.

thx,

Amy

#8187 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Amy,

This message typically is displayed when the architecture does not match, i.e. trying to run a 64-bit software on a 32-bit operating system. However, the self-decrypting files are 32-bit.

Are you perhaps running Windows 10 on a tablet or a similar non-desktop?

#8188 Reply

Amy

It is Windows 10 on a laptop.

#8189 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Amy,

Can you go to ‘This PC’ and check properties and report what it says under ‘System’? Here’s a sample of how it can look:

This PC

#8190 Reply

Amy

It won’t let me copy/paste it, but here it is…

Windows 10 Pro

i7-4610M CPU @ 3GHz 3GHz

Ram 8GB

64-bit OS

Amy

#8191 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Good enough, that’s not the problem anyway then.

Perhaps the file is in fact corrupted. Please browse to http://www.axantum.com/AxCrypt/Downloads.aspx and then chose the ‘AxDecrypt.exe’ download you’ll find there. That’s actually the exact same software that’s part of the self-decrypting exe, just without any payload. It, however, has the capability to decrypt another file even when it’s an ‘exe’.

It has a very sparse user interface, but if it runs ok, use the File | Open menu, then select “*.exe” as the file type to open and then find and select the file you’re trying to decrypt, and then click ‘Decrypt’.

#8192 Reply

Amy

I will give it a try. Using AxDecrypt, I can at least select the file so that’s an improvement. I have to find the password to get it to run.

thx,

Amy

#8193 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Amy,

Ok, that means that your computer is able to run the software. It should have been able to run the encrypted file as well – unless it’s very, very large… Is it over 2Gb? In that case, it’s not corrupted, just too large to run and you’ll be able to decrypt it fine with AxDecrypt if you have the correct password.

#8194 Reply

Amy

The file is almost 5 GB.

#8195 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Amy,

Well that explains it! Windows can only load files that are 2GB or smaller as .exe . That’s a built-in limitation of Windows and how it works with executable images.

All should be well now, good luck!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
Reply To: Self-decrypter file encrypted on 1.7, cannot decrypt on Windows 10
Your information: