Forums Community Sharing files via gmail

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 7 years ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Christine

Hi I did a test with my husband who didn’t download AXCRYPT on his computer to see what would happen when I sent a secure file to my accountant. Well it doesn’t work, when he gets the file it says what app would you like to use to open this file, and then it doesn’t open. I am new to this program and I was under the impression that one didn’t have to download the program in order to open an encrypted file that I sent them. It doesn’t make sense to have my accountant download a program in order to open my file. I thought they would get a pop up box asking them to sign in with their email and make their own password. This doesn’t seem to work like this. Am I doing something wrong?

#5867 Reply

Jack

You’re not doing anything wrong; that’s how a computer works.

It’d be impossible to have a pop-up asking for your password unless the recipient has AxCrypt installed otherwise how would the computer know what to do?

AxCrypt like all other encryption software is third-party. That means you have to install its software in order to encrypt/decrypt files.

If you don’t want your accountant to download a new piece of software then you’ll have to ask him what he’s got installed on his computer (e.g. Microsoft Excel) and go out and buy that software yourself (if you don’t have it already).

Then you can share files using Microsoft’s password protection – but the result is the same – you both need the same piece of software (whether it be AxCrypt, Excel etc.) on your computer.

That’s how computers work.

Your other option is to pay for a secure cloud service (Google Drive isn’t secure) which encrypts the files and allows somebody with a link and password to download it. That assumes your accountant has a web browser installed on his computer and that you’re willing to pay the monthly secure storage fee.

#5871 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Christine,

Jack is entirely right. That’s just how computers work. However – we do send an email to your accountant if he does not have AxCrypt installed when you do the key sharing with him/her as the recipient inviting him/her to download AxCrypt and set the password.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
Reply To: Sharing files via gmail
Your information: