Forums Help & support Silent installation

This topic contains 7 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Svante 6 years, 5 months ago.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author

Seb

Hello,

I want to deploy AxCrypt 1.7 on all my computers in my compagny. But, I can’t do this because many Windows to install, register, are opening during installation.

Can I do a silent installeion by deploy? Have you any options in bat installation?

Thanks
    Seb (fr)

#8059 Reply

Nick

Sorry, the version of AxCrypt you’re asking about is no longer maintained nor is it supported.

#8060 Reply

seb

So, can I do this with version 2 ?

#8061 Reply

Nick

Hi,

AxCrypt 2 does offer support for this feature but the process only works for version 2.

#8062 Reply

Zdenek

Hi,

I use AxCrypt 2 (free, yet :) to secure some sensitive files on my local PC. If, for example I secure a file and decrypt it, it gets opened by the associated appliaction like Notepad or so. When I secure for example JPG, then it gets opened by Win10 native photo viewer app – so far so good. However here is my concern: each such application can swap the decrypted file on local disk and in that moment I guess there is not any security as AxCrypt only takes care about its own temp files (if any).

Would you have some recomandation for example, how to completelly avoid such risk? Like for example, by recomandation of any JPG file viewer which definitely doesn’t use any local temp files? Is there anything else which can be done against this problem?

Thanks a lot Zdenek

#8065 Reply

Jordan

each such application can swap the decrypted file on local disk and in that moment I guess there is not any security as AxCrypt only takes care about its own temp files (if any).

Yes. This is why you should only use applications from trusted sources. Only use the Windows Photo Viewer if possible. If you’re writing documents only use Wordpad, Notepad or Microsoft Word.

If you’re running Windows (the operating system) then you’ve got to trust Microsoft anyway so it makes sense to only use Microsoft applications where possible.

Would you have some recomandation for example, how to completelly avoid such risk?

If you use a computer you can’t avoid this risk. Make sure you encrypt your whole hard disk for ultimate protection.

Like for example, by recomandation of any JPG file viewer which definitely doesn’t use any local temp files?

Almost all software uses temporary files.

Is there anything else which can be done against this problem?

Click the broom in AxCrypt if the option is available. This clears any temporary files.

Use an up-to-date antivirus software, encrypt your whole hard drive and use AxCrypt. Also make sure you keep Windows fully up-to-date as well.

Beyond that there’s nothing more you can do.

#8096 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Seb,

In both cases (AxCrypt 1.x and 2.x) it is possible to perform the actual installation silently, but the user will still need to setup an account (for version 2) and enter the password.

You can request .msi-installers (or extract them from the .exe installer) and use them for deployment.

#8097 Reply

Svante
    Spectator

Hello Zdenek,

To ensure that any and all temporary files created by the applications themselves are secure, you should enable BitLocker encryption on your hard drive, or similar full disk encryption if perhaps provided by drive firmware.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
Reply To: Silent installation
Your information: